Iron

Old 09-23-2010, 07:36 PM

WalMart sells the Shark Iron for 39.95. I got 2 of them for the quilting program recently - really puts out the steam! The guys like them & I have found myself looking at them at WM! Am using a Sunbeam after swearing I wouldn't ever get another one, but I like their steam, just not their leaking. Have a Black & Decker (identical to the old-fashioned GE), but it's steam holes are so big that corners get eaten by it. I only use it for ironing yardage as it gets really, really hot!
Old 09-23-2010, 07:49 PM

I have two irons that I regularly use. One dry, one for steam. The steam one is a Bernina Pro Glide that I got at some long ago quilt show for a deal price. It's got to be over 12 years old, and I've never had a problem with it.

The dry iron is a Black and Decker, and I'm sure I paid very little for it, and that it's even older than the Bernina. It too is a faithful servant, though I sometimes think it's not quite as hot as it once was.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:00 PM

I just buy a cheap iron from WalMart. I had a Rowenta and "dumb diddy me" I turned it off , emptied the water, and set it on the stove burner to cool. Mind you I said "Cool". Well, it didn't cool as I went in to cook something, turned on the wrong burner and cooked alright....I had cooked Rowenta for supper.

Now do you really think I need a non shut off iron? Not with my brain. LOL

Now I have something to even top off that. I put some bacon in the oven on a broiler pan. When bacon was beautifully done, I took out the pan, Left it to cool a bit. Again turned on the wrong burner to cook something else, melted the broiler pan, burner and bacon creating a one piece wall hanging......LOL. I had to buy a new burner, pan and bacon.

Now where is the local "luny house"? Do I need to be there? Please don't answer that question.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:01 PM

I use an old GE travel iron, its plugged into a power strip that my machine and ott lite are plugged into. DH ran an electric line just for my sewing room, so nothing else is on that circuit. Its great having my very own electrician.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:04 PM

LOL@skydiver! Cooking an iron. Takes talent, that.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:47 PM

I plug my iron into a power strip with with my sewing lamp. Then when I leave the area I flip the switch on the power strip turning off the lamp and the iron. If I see my lamp on I know my iron is on. It reminds me to turn off the switch.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by plainjane
My Rowenta Focus has been leaking for the last two weeks. I fill it up and next thing you know, there is a puddle of water. I've been sitting it in a plate with a dish towel to catch all of the water and not ruin my ironing board cover. I, too have been on the prowl for a new iron and don't know which way to go. I love the steam of the Rowenta, but didn't know if I wanted to spend that much AGAIN. I usually go to amazon.com and read all of the feedback on all of the irons-still can't make up my mind! I had thought about a new post-what kind of iron do you have and do you really like it. I'm keeping a close look at this thread!
Keep in mind that water and electricity are a bad mix. There's probably no reason to worry, but why take the chance.

I dropped a pricey iron last year. My husband glued it together, but it leaked. He is frugal-man, and wanted to re-glue. I told him I could afford a new iron, and brought up the water/electricity issue. He, of course, gave me a dirty look - like that would stop me from getting a new iron! I did concede that a cheap one would do the job and got the cheapest one I could find, $9.99. For some reason that one won't fall off the ironing board!
Old 09-24-2010, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by Katia
I just replaced my Rowenta because it was not turning on all the time. Kinda frustrating. I got my new one at Costco and so far am loving it. It is a Shark one for only 23 bucks. I normally don't like cheaper irons since I do have to iron my husbands shirts as well as use it for sewing. But this one is nice so far.
I had a Rowenta steam generator I used for window treatments and other large projects. I started having the leaking and spitting problem and complained to the company, to no avail. My reply from them was, if you use the iron daily it won't leak. Sorry, I don't iron every day. No more Rowentas for me. I bought a Shark at BJ's and just love it.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:23 AM

I love my Rowenta. It will even turn off if I have to leave the room to answer the phone. Tip it down, and it heats again.
Check JoAnns, see if you can use your 40% coupon.
I actually bought mine at JCPennys when I had a 40% coupon.
I never have used steam, so I don't know how the iron works with steam. (?)
Old 09-24-2010, 04:37 AM

I have had 3 Rowentas over the years and they ALL leaked and spit. No more for me. I'm with you Gals. Buy the cheapies at WM and replace them as needed.