Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
It's too short... help! >

It's too short... help!

It's too short... help!

Old 12-26-2015, 04:46 AM

Default It's too short... help!

Over Christmas I came across a UFO and decided to finish it for myself. It's a rail fence I started maybe 10 years ago. I completed it for my lounge chair. Its completely done and bound, but its too short. My toes keep coming out the bottom when I recline. I'm wondering if I can cut the binding off the bottom and put an extension on it. All I can think of is the way they do "quilt as you go" in a row by row method. Any help/suggestions appreciated. I guess the worst that can happen is that I ruin it! LOL Wondering if anybody else has had this problem and what did you do for a fix? Thanks. Jan
Old 12-26-2015, 05:01 AM

I added a row completely around an old quilt that my SIL had to make it big enough for her queen bed using the method you mentioned. It worked great!
Old 12-26-2015, 05:17 AM

This technique is very doable and no one but you will be the wiser. I have used this method of quilting in sections several times and have never encountered significant difficulties. There are several good tutorials available for seeing how to do it. I like to do fairly large sections at a time rather than just a square at a time.
Old 12-26-2015, 06:19 AM

I also have done this. Enjoy the process.
Old 12-26-2015, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

I would make a flannel pocket at the bottom so you feet will stay warm and will stay put like a quillow.
Old 12-26-2015, 06:29 AM

I frequently do QAYG for the complete project. Because I quilt on my domestic sewing machine, I do sometimes attach the borders with QAYG after doing traditional quilting on the main part of the quilt. Just keeping the bulk of the borders away from the project until they are ready to be attached is a great help in maneuvering the sandwich. I am sure it will work fine for you.
Old 12-26-2015, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I would make a flannel pocket at the bottom so you feet will stay warm and will stay put like a quillow.
What a neat idea! But you have given me another idea... I am thinking about doing your pocket trick at the top, rather than on the bottom, and make quilted pocket sections for the remote, tissues, pencil and pad, etc. WOW, now that is exciting... we may have come up with a whole new concept! Thanks.
Old 12-26-2015, 06:34 AM

Thanks everyone for your feedback. This forum is the best of the best! Happy Holidays.
Old 12-26-2015, 06:46 AM
Power Poster

Doesn't sound like a difficult fix. Another reason I buy extra fabric. If it calls for a yard, I'll buy 1 1/2-2 yards. Might want to make a pillow. Good luck with your addition. Would love to see finished, please!
Old 12-26-2015, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Doesn't sound like a difficult fix. Another reason I buy extra fabric. If it calls for a yard, I'll buy 1 1/2-2 yards. Might want to make a pillow. Good luck with your addition. Would love to see finished, please!
Good idea. Often I wish I had bought more fabric after I finish a quilt.