Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting too short, already on the rack, HELP!! >

Batting too short, already on the rack, HELP!!

Batting too short, already on the rack, HELP!!

Old 08-05-2014, 07:11 PM

Unhappy Batting too short, already on the rack, HELP!!

So, I'm quilting away on the baby quilt, and it's coming out nice. I was fairly happy with the result, until now. I'm probably 2/3 done with it. Tonight I noticed that the batting is WAY too short. I must have put it on the rack sideways, which seems odd because the sides are fine. I have no idea how this happened, but I can tell you that from now on I'm going to mark the top of the batting when I measure it. I know the measurement was right, because I laid the quilt on top of it on the floor before I made my cuts. I was tired when I loaded the quilt. I must have screwed it up then.

Now, I don't know what to do. I'm quilting fairly dense swirls, so I'm wondering if I can just add another piece in at the bottom? Should I join another piece by hand? Has anyone else done this?????! What to do, what to do..........................
Old 08-05-2014, 07:24 PM

I don't know the "proper" solution, but I would whip stitch another piece of batting to it while it is on the frame then quilt over it and call it good. It's not uncommon to stitch two pieces of batting together to use in a quilt so a little hand stitching should fix it just fine.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:26 PM

That was my thought too.
Ugh. I'm so disappointed!! All I can do is laugh, though.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:28 PM

I have done the same as Audrey B and I have also did the iron-on tape route. Both worked fine. Once the quilting is done all will hold in place and no one will know.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:35 PM

i have spliced on a a few inches or joined two large scraps to do a child size quilt. everything looked good when i finished quilting, and wore well thru repeated washings. i have done the whip stitch method and the overlap method. i haven't used the tape yet.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:36 PM

It happened to me, also. I was able to get the iron close enough and I used the iron on fusible bonding tape method, and it turned out just fine. Good luck
Old 08-05-2014, 08:25 PM
Power Poster

Yep, been there, done that. Hope not to do it again though.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:28 PM

LOL, ok, well I'm in good company then! :-P I too hope not to do this again... DEFINITELY marking the top from now on. I must have had some sort of subconscious inkling because when I was putting it on the rack, I thought, what if this is on sideways... Pfft
Old 08-05-2014, 09:29 PM

I often whip stitch pieces of batting together and it is not noticeable after the quilt is done. So you can add another strip of batting where you need it even though it may be a little awkward since it is on the frame. So sorry that happened but after you add the batting no one but you will ever know!!
Old 08-06-2014, 04:36 AM
Power Poster

Whip stitch, overlap, and joining tape all work great.