Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What to Do When Backing and Batting are Too Short

What to Do When Backing and Batting are Too Short

UUggggggghhhhhhh I was so tickled with how this quilt was turning out. I am at my last row and I see that I have cut the batting and the backing too short. I must have been so excited to get started with my new Bailey, that I didn't measure right. Nothing I can do now but deal with it. I'll have to cut about 4 inches off of the bottom.

No don't do that. Has happened to me and I added batting and a strip of backing to the bottom rather than ruining my quilt. After you are finished no one will even notice the addition.

sewmary is right. I have done the same thing and just added to the batting and no one ever guessed I had goofed. Good luck with it.

Blog Entries
    to add the batting, butt one edge against the other and zig zag the new piece on. for the backing, sew the new piece on with tighter stitches and press the seam open. as the others have said, no one will notice.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Absolutely!! Once it is quilted no one will know that you did not plan it that way. I have used the extra strip as a large quilt label. Turned out unique and very pretty. You really don't want to change the size of the top!
    Last edited by GingerK; 07-28-2013 at 08:51 AM.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

Blog Entries
    For the backing, you aren't restricted to adding a piece to the bottom. An interesting effect is achieved by slashing the backing diagonally somewhere near the middle and inserting a strip of contrasting fabric. Creates a bit of excitement in the backing. And no one will know the batting was pieced.

I agree. I hope you haven't already shortened your quilt!! Just add on backing and batting. No one will ever notice. Honest!

Dina

Blog Entries
    Oh, sorry, I just realized you had already quilted most of the quilt. Adding backing and batting to the bottom is a great solution!

I went ahead and trimmed it off. I couldn't split it in the center, it was already completely quilted except for the last row. I would have had to take it off the frame and add to it, then put it back on the frame. It isn't ruined, it's just 4 inches shorter. Once I get the binding on it won't be noticeable unless you look at the top and bottom at the same time.

Blog Entries
    Whew! only four inches. Glad it will work out for you. post pic when you can.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Quote Originally Posted by yorkie luv View Post
    UUggggggghhhhhhh I was so tickled with how this quilt was turning out. I am at my last row and I see that I have cut the batting and the backing too short. I must have been so excited to get started with my new Bailey, that I didn't measure right. Nothing I can do now but deal with it. I'll have to cut about 4 inches off of the bottom.
    Wouldn't you be better off to add backing and batting. I'd sure not alter the quilt top.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

This is the quilt, still needs binding. see the two off colored whit pieces. those were put in wrong side out. That bothers me more than the other issue because no one will see the end f the quilt when it is on a bed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gay
    Blog Entries
    Great pattern and fabric colours. No, I don't see any off-colour white blocks on this pc.

I just finished reading a book about quilters from back in the 1800's, early 1900's.
    You know what?
    They on purpose did one thing "wrong" in their quilts... because, they said only God could make things perfect.
    I kind of like that notion...

Reb
    You have made a beautiful quilt! Focus on that and not any 'flaws' you may know about as the quilter. It isn't easy, we want it perfect. This is advice people give me and I need to listen to it more myself. I agree, only God's creation's are perfect.

It is possible to take a quilt off the frame, add to batting/backing as needed and then put the quilt back on the frame. Nice job on your quilt, though, yorkie luv. You did good!

Blog Entries
    I just finished a quilt where I had to add ten inches all around. It's not that difficult.
    MaryKatherine
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

This can be salvaged without cutting the top smaller. It will work. I don't see any off color white either. If anything is said, tell them that a small mistake is your signature to show that the quilt was homemade.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I have done it and it seems to add an element of surprise to,the backing.

I have added fabric to the quilt and extra batting while the quilt is still in the frame! ( I also quilted a pin into the quilt, but that is another story!) Its not something I would want to do again, but its doable in a pinch.

I too have quilted a pin into the quilt. I just pushed the pin through as far as I could and the broke the head off.

Agree!!! Do not shorten add.

Looks beautiful to me! I don't see any off colored white pieces either! That's only because YOU know, no one else will ever notice unless you point it out! Gorgeous quilt, love the colors!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

It is beautiful and your solution worked out well for you. I have had to add more backing and batting more than a dozen times to fit the quilt. I quilt on a DSM. I two have sewn pins into quilts, one was a straight pin and two large safety pins. I was able to remove them. I don't do that anymore. I have also sewn a fingertip of my quilting gloves to the quilt. I finally learned to pay more attention.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    For the backing, you aren't restricted to adding a piece to the bottom. An interesting effect is achieved by slashing the backing diagonally somewhere near the middle and inserting a strip of contrasting fabric. Creates a bit of excitement in the backing. And no one will know the batting was pieced.
    OOOO, I really like this idea!
    Anne

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast