Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome 6600p issue >

Janome 6600p issue

Janome 6600p issue

Old 08-23-2016, 07:34 AM

Default Janome 6600p issue

I am having an issue with the upper thread tension in my 6600p "drifting" on its own while I'm sewing. I noticed it a few months ago while I was quilting with my accufeed foot. I'll have it set to 5, and then look up and it's on 3! When I started really paying attention, I realized that it was doing it after I would finish a row, move the quilt, and put the foot back down. And then, my foot lift lever fell off. The screw had backed out. I went to put it back in, and realized the screw goes under most of the foot mechanism so I took it to the shop and told him to figure it out. He said he had never seen the lift lever just fall out like that. He took it apart, cleaned the heck out of it, and put it back together for me. He told me he soaked the tensioner in cleaner and oiled it back up and I should be good. I've had it back for a couple of weeks and it's been fine, until last night when I went to quilt with me accufeed food - it's "drifting" the tension again (from 5 to 3) just like before. Any ideas?!
Old 08-23-2016, 09:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Vistacruise View Post
..........When I started really paying attention, I realized that it was doing it after I would finish a row, move the quilt, and put the foot back down. ..........
With what you have said, my first thought would be, by chance are you catching it as you shift your quilt around at the end of the row? I never had that problem with my 6600, but have done that on a different machine.

Otherwise, my thoughts would be to phone your serviceman and ask his advice. It may be just a minor adjustment that you could do, or a quick-fix at his shop.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:44 AM

The serviceman was stumped by it. He said he has never had anyone else with an issue like it. He hoped a good cleaning would fix it, but that hasn't been the case. I thought I would ask a wider audience here to see if anyone has had something similar happen. I have had the machine for 4 years and this is the first issue I've ever had.

I'm also no where near the knob when it happens. I lift the foot, turn the quilt, and then sit back and watch it drift. I put the foot back down, readjust the knob, and go on my way. If I could remember to check each time I lift the foot, it wouldn't be such an impact.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

That is definitely disappointing. I would contact Janome even if your machine isn't under warranty.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Vistacruise View Post
.......If I could remember to check each time I lift the foot, it wouldn't be such an impact.........
Do it often enough, and it will become a habit!!

However, you should not have to do that.

Being that he told you that he "hoped" the servicing would do the trick, then you have every reason to go back to him and say, "Well, it did not work, what next?"

Sadly some servicemen, are not that knowledgeable beyond the basic cleaning of a machine. Whereas some are extensively trained. If your current person does not rise to the challenge, you may want to look for a different dealer/service person.

And too, perhaps someone here will come up with a solution for you!

Good Luck!
Old 08-23-2016, 12:17 PM

My thought was that the screw holding the tension assembly needs to be tightened. However, any repairman worth his salt would check that first (you would think!).
Old 08-23-2016, 12:39 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
My thought was that the screw holding the tension assembly needs to be tightened. However, any repairman worth his salt would check that first (you would think!).
................ but so many are not worth their salt!
I always feel badly for those who have that sort of a repair/service tech.

I am SO thankful that I have an incredible service guy for both my Janome and Bernina machines.

That was what held me back in buying my Sweet 16, for quite awhile.
The fear of service not being on a par was just too high.
I think the wait was worth it ... and have good feelings that he will be as great.