Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Joann no longer accepting VIP discount cards >

Joann no longer accepting VIP discount cards

Joann no longer accepting VIP discount cards

Old 08-28-2016, 08:05 AM

Location: Inverness, Florida Lived in states MA (born/graduated) RI (twice) CA (3 times) MO (3 times) KY VA

Well, I love Joann's. Unfortunately they are an hour away so I don't go very often but I save all the coupons during the week that I get in email and make sure I go on a day that gives me an extra 20% off everything including sale items and come home very happy. Did that last month and saved around $150.00 each time I went. I went twice in two weeks. All set for a few months now. :-) I also did a lot of online buying but have stuck with Joann's and Fabric.com for the most part with a little Connecting Threads thrown in and shop the sales. Joann's only lets you apply one coupon for each order so it makes more sense to take the trip. Fabric.com use to give free shipping if you bought $35.00 but that changed last month. Now you do better on some things if you go to Amazon.com as they had the free shipping over $35 on some of the fabric. Fabric.com is owned by Amazon.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:58 AM

Location: Inverness, Florida Lived in states MA (born/graduated) RI (twice) CA (3 times) MO (3 times) KY VA

I just bought a yard of sports fabric for $8.98 a yard on Amazon and it will be shipped by Fabric.com and I paid NO shipping! I guess there is no consistency. :-)
Old 08-28-2016, 10:25 AM

Default More than fabric at Jo-Ann's.

Originally Posted by puma View Post
my local quilt shop has a 'rewards' program. they keep track of your purchases. when it reaches a certain amt. you get a discount. $10 off $30; 20% off $50. something like that. I never considered joanns fabric worth my time to purchase and make something with. the quality just wasn't there. if im goin to put time and effort into something, I don't want it to fade or look crummy after a while. just not worth it to me. try goin into your local independent shop and feeling the fabric; then go to joanns. cant tell me there isn't a difference. i'll shop local and try to help mom & pop stores keep their heads above water. besides when I have a problem or need help, the local shops are always there to help.
I don't buy much fabric at Jo-Ann's, but I do use the coupons for rotary cutter blades, interfacing, thread, rulers, pins at cheaper prices than the quilt shops.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom View Post
JAF exhausted my patience when they stopped sending me their flyers. I filled out the request again at the store (twice) and once on line. No luck. I didn't want the coupons as much as I wanted to know what was on sale. Using the coupons is always an exercise in frustration but if I saw pillow forms were on sale (for instance) then I could go get what I needed. I almost never shop there anymore.
I had the same problem on receiving their emails. I have two emails addresses and what is really funny, they get different emails on the same date and time. Go figure!?!
Old 09-22-2016, 05:12 PM
Banned

I would like to note that today I went to Joanns forgot to take
my VIP discount card with me to have it signed etc..

Asked the store manager about this and she told me that they
ARE still accepting the discount cards, and in fact gave me a new
card that doesn't expire until 5/31/18 (YES 2018!). She told me that
the did cancel/stop accepting student cards, but not the other cards.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]558731[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]558732[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2016-09-22-19.07.28.jpg   2016-09-22-16.21.22.jpg  
Old 09-22-2016, 06:36 PM

Wow, I didn't know Tuesday Morning had anything sewing related. There's one on every corner in Dallas.

Thanks,
bkay
Old 09-23-2016, 05:29 AM
Power Poster

My JoAnns still takes my VIP card and I found the calendar coupons to be very beneficial. I used the August coupon ($20 off) on three prepackaged queen-size W&N battings that was on sale and after my coupon only paid $42 for the three (they are regular priced @ $59.97 each). A savings of $110.00 was well worth it. So far this year I only missed using one of the calendar coupons.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:19 AM
Power Poster

mine never took the one from American Quilting Society or what ever it was called. I gave up.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
My JoAnns still takes my VIP card and I found the calendar coupons to be very beneficial. I used the August coupon ($20 off) on three prepackaged queen-size W&N battings that was on sale and after my coupon only paid $42 for the three (they are regular priced @ $59.97 each). A savings of $110.00 was well worth it. So far this year I only missed using one of the calendar coupons.
You got a good deal for 3 at $42 but when you said the regular price is $59.97, this is the pricing structure that I feel is deceptive and keeps me from patronizing their stores. Do a google search for queen size warm and natural. All other retailers regular price for this product is right around $26.00. Here are just a few I found and smart internet shoppers can figure out ways to get free shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/Warm-Company-...SB4Y5QQDBJPJ1Q

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Warm-Natu...&wl13=&veh=sem

http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/NOTI...580&cadevice=c

https://www.fabric.com/buy/cbr-005/w...qYMaAhzZ8P8HAQ

JAF artificially inflates their regular price to deceive shoppers that they are getting such a great deal with a 40% or 50% off coupon. In reality that just brings their "regular" price in line with every other retailer. So comparing what you paid to what other retailers charge your deal only represents a savings of $36.00 not $110. Still you got a decent deal, I just feel bad for people who are in a bind, don't have a coupon, need something fast and pay the artificially inflated "regular" price.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 09-23-2016 at 06:52 AM.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:57 AM

Yeah, I used to shop at JAF a lot when I started quilting - I could buy Kona solids with a coupon for $3-something a yard. Then they raised the regular price to $8.99 a yard and cut their selection way back - now it's not worth it to me even with a good coupon. I still go and browse around every few weeks (it's right next to my hairdresser) but I often don't buy anything at all. Even with coupons, they just don't have many good deals anymore.

I'm lucky to have Beverly's near by; they will accept competitor coupons for up to 30% off. Just one per purchase, but that's OK. They have LQS quality fabrics for a little better deal than the other LQS's in the area and a pretty good selection, so I'm happy to give them my business.