Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This is JUST a hobby >

This is JUST a hobby

This is JUST a hobby

Old 06-08-2014, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by GailG View Post
I have learned the best way to cut these people off is by saying: "I would love to teach you to make the quilt. It will be a lot of fun for both of us." With this, it has been the last I've heard of making a quilt for them.
That is a great idea!! I tell people that I just make quilts for charity (which is true) and I sell the mug rugs if they are interesting in just spending $8.00,
Old 06-08-2014, 06:25 AM

I feel the same way about quilting - this is MY thing and I'm not going to turn it into something I do for other people. It sort of already is about other people, since I usually make a quilt for a specific person, but it's at MY discretion.

Depending on the person asking, I'll usually just say no and explain why; but if I don't think the person will understand (or to save time) I will go the route of quoting an astronomical amount and then suggesting they check etsy if they'd like a custom quilt made for a lot cheaper.

Somehow nobody has taken me up on my offer! It's working!
Old 06-08-2014, 06:27 AM

It takes all the fun out of a hobby to do it for money. Besides, entering into a "business" relationship with friends or family often ends badly.

I had an internet friend I considered "close." I had a new book of patterns of various breeds of dogs, and I offered to make a wall hanging for her featuring her breed. She took me up on my offer...but wanted me to make the wall hanging for a friend of *hers,* that I didn't even know. Huh? Though that totally hadn't been the point, I didn't have a spine and reluctantly gave in to her, "But you'd be making a wall hanging anyway," and agreed to do it. Now it became more a commission piece (that I was doing for free), with my friend dictating the colors, the styles, critiquing my work (she was not a quilter)--I finished it and sent it off to her, but our friendship didn't survive. Once she received it, oohed and ahhed over it appropriately, and told me how much her friend loved it...I never heard from her again.

I make a quilt for our club's annual party, and without fail someone asks me how much I charge, would I make them one...I don't even get into prices; I just say, "This is a hobby for me; doing commissions takes the fun out of it." (Though my buddies do eventually get one!)

--Q
Old 06-08-2014, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

Take them shopping with you they will change their tune quickly. I did get rooked into making a table runner for a neighbor by a barter of some Great fabrics. I really made out well on that deal.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 06-08-2014 at 06:57 AM.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:11 AM

Over the years I've had family members and friends tell me I should "sell all the different things I make". They mean well but I am not interested in selling. I am a giver and/or I keep what I make! I make quilts, or knit or do counted cross stitch things just to name a few for my own enjoyment. I would not enjoy making something for hire. It's just not me.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:39 AM

I don't have a problem saying no. In a nice way of course!
Old 06-08-2014, 07:39 AM

I would do the same thing you're doing in telling others no. Right behind that "no", however, would be an offer to help that person make the quilt they want. You'd find out right away who was truly interested in a finished quilt and who wasn't.

Turning your hobby into a job is a fast way of losing all interest in your hobby.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:44 AM

I usually just laugh and go, Oh No, it's too expensive. They usually back off then. But for family that wants a quilt and I genuinely don't mind making them one, I say go buy a yard of fabric in the colors that you absolutely love and send it to me and I'll make a quilt out of those colors. To date, I've never received a yard of fabric. It's too much trouble for them to buy a yard but they don't mind if I spend months and my money making something for them. It makes it easier to say no the next time.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by GailG View Post
I have learned the best way to cut these people off is by saying: "I would love to teach you to make the quilt. It will be a lot of fun for both of us." With this, it has been the last I've heard of making a quilt for them.
I have used that method for years. It works really well. I also have learned to say "I'm so busy I don't have time to finish the projects I want to do, much less sew for anyone else" or the one that usually clinches things "I have projects lined up the next 6 months. I MIGHT be able to squeeze you in after that, but I can't promise"
Old 06-08-2014, 08:00 AM
Power Poster

When I quit hairdressing, I quit! I only cut my hair and DH hair. Relatives would ask me to cut theirs. I told them to make an appt. They thought it was ok to show up anytime because we're "family". They thought family discount meant 100%. I never got a discount of any kind from them. When I started making quilts "family" wanted to start placing orders. It was really easy and "fun" to say "no". I just said I'm not taking orders. My kids and gks don't know what they're getting for Christmas, but that is the only family who will begin getting quilts and I know they will love and appreciate. They have told others I don't take orders. Besides it is something you do on your own time when you want to. If and when I donate a quilt the only label I put on a quilt is the date, and place, maybe.