Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
L A Quilting Machine- What is your favorite? >

L A Quilting Machine- What is your favorite?

L A Quilting Machine- What is your favorite?

Old 02-01-2011, 01:35 PM

My wonderful husband took me shopping for a L A machine this weekend. There were only two stores that had them, one was the BabyLock Jewel and the other was the Viking.
The Jewel was set up so I could try it. What a great feeling to be able to just stitch all over anyway you wanted. They had two set up, one with the frame at the largest setting with a quilt on it that someone was working on, and the other at the smallest frame size that anyone could try it out. I had worked with a Juki machine before, but this one was so much nicer!
The Viking wasn't set up for quilting, it was just sitting on the frame. It was a nice machine too, as well as having a nice frame too. But both of them were over $9,000 - and that wasn't what we were planning on spending.

So I went online and checked out what was there. I didn't realize there were so many brands. So I would like to hear what any of you think about your L A machines.
I have found a few that were in my price range,
The New Joy Crystal Quilter, the Handi Quilter, A1 Elite Quilter,
Tin Lizzi, and the Queen Quilter. I think the Queen Quilter is made by Tin Lizzi, but the dealer that sold it, just sold it as a Queen Quilter. And there is one call the WOW quilter, and it has 3 models and they are very reasonable. $3,100 for machine and frame. Has anyone got one of these?

I would appreciate your feedback on your own machines, tell me what you like the best. I am really excited to be getting one of these machines. I do embroidery too, and I have lots of embroidered blocks that I can use for my quilts. Since the economy isn't what it used to be, and business is so slow, I have decided to start making things to sell. And if I can get the hang of it, I know there are lots of quilters in the area that would like to get their quilts quilted. So it could be a money maker too. But for the time being, its just to finish my own quilts.

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2011, 03:16 PM

Tin Lizzie does make the Queen Quilter and they make the Viking you looked at if it was the 18.8 Mega Quilter.

I'm confused by the machines you listed in your price range. You have one of my dream machinse--the A1 Elite, listed with the home systems whereas it is more like the professional Nolting, Gammil & APQS systems.

The low end of the midarm (home quilting systems) would be the Bailey Home Quilter, Voyager or a stretched 9" machine by wowquilts--the same people who make the WOW quilter you mentioned will stretch the 9" straight stitch only domestic machines--Juki TL98, Brother 1500, Janome mc1600, etc.

The next step would be the Tin Lizzies, Nolting FunQuilter, Pennywinkle Valley Ranch Sunshine 16, KenQuilt, Homesteader, etc.

Then you move up into the big guys which is where I would place the HandiQuilter, Crystal Quilter, Innova, Nolting Pro and others.

Also, Nolting, KenQuilt, HandiQuilter, Pennywinkle and others make several different machines at different price points.

The only real way to know the differences and find out which one is "the one" is to research, research, research and try to get your hands on as many different ones as you can. If you can get to a quilt show that will have several in one place--that is your best bet.

I started with a B-Line Studio frame and an Elna 7200 domestic 9" sewing machine (very similar to the Janome MC6500p) I was very happy with that system for 5 years and would still be using it if I hadn't stumbled over a Voyager 17 SLR on a Pro-Flex frame for a dirt cheap price. If I had aspirations of running a quilting business, though, I would be looking at the professional systems which are a whole 'nuther kettle of fish.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:23 PM

I am buying my dealer's Tin LiZzie LS display. Getting one heck of a deal. And its been used so the bugs are all worked out. He'll be setting it up for me in about 3 weeks. *Squeal*
Old 02-01-2011, 04:49 PM

I have a New Joy with my Janome 6500 on it. But would like a longarm. At Road 2 California I tried a Innova and it was great. They have 18"-22"-26" and they ran $8,000 up.
But the service sounded great and was very easy to use.
I'm saving my mad money for one of these. Before I checked a gammil and with all the goodies it was $30,000.
Where as the Innova was about $12,000 for the 26" with all the goodies. But for the room the 18" would be more for the general home quilter I think because the others you would have to have a space just for it.
kjym Kathy
Old 02-01-2011, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by LaineyBelle
My wonderful husband took me shopping for a L A machine this weekend. There were only two stores that had them, one was the BabyLock Jewel and the other was the Viking.
The Jewel was set up so I could try it. What a great feeling to be able to just stitch all over anyway you wanted. They had two set up, one with the frame at the largest setting with a quilt on it that someone was working on, and the other at the smallest frame size that anyone could try it out. I had worked with a Juki machine before, but this one was so much nicer!
The Viking wasn't set up for quilting, it was just sitting on the frame. It was a nice machine too, as well as having a nice frame too. But both of them were over $9,000 - and that wasn't what we were planning on spending.

So I went online and checked out what was there. I didn't realize there were so many brands. So I would like to hear what any of you think about your L A machines.
I have found a few that were in my price range,
The New Joy Crystal Quilter, the Handi Quilter, A1 Elite Quilter,
Tin Lizzi, and the Queen Quilter. I think the Queen Quilter is made by Tin Lizzi, but the dealer that sold it, just sold it as a Queen Quilter. And there is one call the WOW quilter, and it has 3 models and they are very reasonable. $3,100 for machine and frame. Has anyone got one of these?

I would appreciate your feedback on your own machines, tell me what you like the best. I am really excited to be getting one of these machines. I do embroidery too, and I have lots of embroidered blocks that I can use for my quilts. Since the economy isn't what it used to be, and business is so slow, I have decided to start making things to sell. And if I can get the hang of it, I know there are lots of quilters in the area that would like to get their quilts quilted. So it could be a money maker too. But for the time being, its just to finish my own quilts.

Thanks!
I just saw a Viking Maga Quilter on this Board in the Buy/Sell section. There was no price though. I think it was posted within the past few days. I have heard good things about the Mega Quilter. I have the Tin Lizzie 18DLS and love it. I saw the TIn Lizzie Queen Quilter (the previous model to the one I just got) on ebay recenty for $5000-$6000 with the table. I wouldn't have any hesitation with buyign that. Good luck.