Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Layer cake

Smile Layer cake

Is it best to buy your layer cakes or cut them yourself. Thanks for your input. Hope everyone has just a lovely day.
    Love Projects You Guys Have Done

I've done both. Sometimes I can't find a layer cake that I like so I make my own.

I purchased because I needed a variety of patterns in the same color family that size. Saved me lots of cutting. Otherwise I'd just buy yardage. Usually much cheaper that way.

Power Poster
    Why would one cut one's own layer cakes (other than the baked kind)?

I would cut what I need from whatever fabrics I had rather than just a particular size.

bearisgray - read the post above yours. That is one good reason.
    I made two doublr slice quilts that called for layer cakes and cut my own. I had the colors I wanted.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    bearisgray - read the post above yours. That is one good reason.
    I made two doublr slice quilts that called for layer cakes and cut my own. I had the colors I wanted.
    I did read it - I just don't get the point of cutting 10 inch squares from a group of fabrics I own just to have them - unless I wanted/needed 10 inch squares for some reason or other - but then I wouldn't call the group of cut pieces a layer cake -I would call them a 'kit'

Blog Entries
    The whole point of buying a layer cake is the fabric from that line is in one layer cake. It is not that simple for me to cut 10 in squares from yardage. 44 10" squares would take me a while and lots of hassle to cut each one from a different fabric. I love pre cuts. They save time. My time is worth more to me then money ever will be.
    Got fabric?

Power Poster
    I understand the idea of BUYING a layer cake - or any other precuts for that matter - if one wants to save time and/or get a certain group of fabrics.

It depends on how much time and money you want to spend making the quilt. It might take you a whole day to pick out fabrics from your stash and get them all cut yourself. How much is your time worth? The pre-cut layer cakes will save you a whole bunch of time if you have the money to splurge. There are approximately 2-2/3 yards of fabric in a 42 piece layer cake. You can find them on sale :-)

I'm with bearisgray, can't see why you would cut a bunch of 10" squares. Even patterns that are designed for layer cakes generally involve cutting those into other pieces, and it would be more efficient to just cut the pieces needed for the quilt from yardage if you're starting with that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast