Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Layer cake

Smile Layer cake

Is it best to buy your layer cakes or cut them yourself. Thanks for your input. Hope everyone has just a lovely day.
    Love Projects You Guys Have Done

I've done both. Sometimes I can't find a layer cake that I like so I make my own.

I purchased because I needed a variety of patterns in the same color family that size. Saved me lots of cutting. Otherwise I'd just buy yardage. Usually much cheaper that way.

Power Poster
    Why would one cut one's own layer cakes (other than the baked kind)?

I would cut what I need from whatever fabrics I had rather than just a particular size.

bearisgray - read the post above yours. That is one good reason.
    I made two doublr slice quilts that called for layer cakes and cut my own. I had the colors I wanted.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    bearisgray - read the post above yours. That is one good reason.
    I made two doublr slice quilts that called for layer cakes and cut my own. I had the colors I wanted.
    I did read it - I just don't get the point of cutting 10 inch squares from a group of fabrics I own just to have them - unless I wanted/needed 10 inch squares for some reason or other - but then I wouldn't call the group of cut pieces a layer cake -I would call them a 'kit'

Blog Entries
    The whole point of buying a layer cake is the fabric from that line is in one layer cake. It is not that simple for me to cut 10 in squares from yardage. 44 10" squares would take me a while and lots of hassle to cut each one from a different fabric. I love pre cuts. They save time. My time is worth more to me then money ever will be.
    Got fabric?

Power Poster
    I understand the idea of BUYING a layer cake - or any other precuts for that matter - if one wants to save time and/or get a certain group of fabrics.

It depends on how much time and money you want to spend making the quilt. It might take you a whole day to pick out fabrics from your stash and get them all cut yourself. How much is your time worth? The pre-cut layer cakes will save you a whole bunch of time if you have the money to splurge. There are approximately 2-2/3 yards of fabric in a 42 piece layer cake. You can find them on sale :-)

I'm with bearisgray, can't see why you would cut a bunch of 10" squares. Even patterns that are designed for layer cakes generally involve cutting those into other pieces, and it would be more efficient to just cut the pieces needed for the quilt from yardage if you're starting with that.

I so agree with BellaBoo.

I just bought my first jelly roll...usually i cut all my own things from yardage, mAinly because I am on a limited budget and can get more that way for my money...If I ever had the extra money I would love to buy precuts for the ease!!

I started cutting layer cake squares when I had leftovers so I can piece backings for my scrappy quilts. If there is a little extra fabric after cutting the layer cake, I just cut that up into 2.5 " squares, bricks or strips.

Blog Entries
    I buy layer cakes (and jelly rolls, and charm packs) because I want one or two of each of the fabrics in a line without having to buy 22+ different fabrics and cut my own.

I can see cutting your own for the double sliced layer cake or similar pattern especially if you have the fabrics you want. Buying a layer cake is easier but does cost more. Also they are not that hard to cut.

Blog Entries
    It's similar with other precuts. I recently bought some jelly rolls because I really liked the fabric line and wanted to work in that color. Other projects use my stash and I cut the strips from my fabric, but then I don't put them together in a jelly roll.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Blog Entries
    I do a lot of charity sewing and find layer cakes and jelly rolls a huge time saver, and give me lots of variety. I have even gotten layer cakes on sale, and then cut them into charm squares, giving me 4 sets of charms squares much cheaper than buying four sets. They are wonderful to have on hand for that gift you need on a moment's notice. It would cost me a fortune to try to get all those fabrics and then cut them into layer cakes; can't quite see the point of that. I also have NEVER seen a store that carried the entire line of a collection.

Hey Thanks for the advice. We Newbies appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    The whole point of buying a layer cake is the fabric from that line is in one layer cake. It is not that simple for me to cut 10 in squares from yardage. 44 10" squares would take me a while and lots of hassle to cut each one from a different fabric. I love pre cuts. They save time. My time is worth more to me then money ever will be.
    I agree. Plus, it's a great way to get every piece of a collection! Plus they're just fun & yummy!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Junior Member thevintageseamstress's Avatar
    I have been cutting my own and putting fabrics together that I like. I bought one of those tumbler templates for the layer cakes and have cut out some of those from my layer cakes. There are a ton of patterns to do from layer cakes. If I have my fabric already cut I tend to sew more and I love cutting fabric, its like therapy for me. I waste less. The smaller pieces left from my yardage goes into a bin and then I cut charm packs, usually 6 and 5 inch blocks. The rest of the scraps left go into the scrap box which I will eventually use in paper piecing or such. I like the idea of using as much of that dang fabric as possible!
    Did you say you dropped the pie!

Blog Entries
    It is so nice to get all the varities that you get when you buy a layer cake.

Are all layer cakes from the same fabric line? I won one at a guild meeting that is full of fabric that I wouldn't put together. Maybe that is why it was a door prize...someone bought it and didn't like what they got?

But my real question is are they always from the same fabric line?

Thanks,
    Dina

Some small quilt shops do not carry every fabric variation in a collection. So if getting the variety is preferred, a precut is a great time saver.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dina View Post
    Are all layer cakes from the same fabric line? I won one at a guild meeting that is full of fabric that I wouldn't put together. Maybe that is why it was a door prize...someone bought it and didn't like what they got?

But my real question is are they always from the same fabric line?

Thanks,
    Dina
    Moda's are all from the same line. That's what I like about them. Who could afford, even if a store carried them all, to buy 40 cuts of fabric? A 1/4 yard of each wouldn't be big enough to give you the 10". Maybe if you buy others, they may be from other lines, but I have never seen any like that.