Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Leaning from our mistakes >

Leaning from our mistakes

Leaning from our mistakes

Old 08-26-2013, 10:56 AM

Default Leaning from our mistakes

I thought it might be interesting to hear good advice from those of us that have made some mistakes in our quilt making and want to warn others. I'm pretty much a novice with quilts but would love to get better at it. Anyway a couple of things I've learned are.

Never mix charm packs from different manufacturers and put them in the same quilt. I did that and they just never lined up properly.

Always detach your quarter inch presser foot when you turn off your machine. My machine automatically starts out with the needle in the left hand position and because the needle hit the presser foot once there is still an ugly sound in it when it turns on.

Would love to hear other tid bits of advice.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:08 AM

Never, never, never sew over a pin. If you hit one, you could (1) throw your machine's timing off, requiring a costly trip to the repair shop or (2) break your needle or the pin, possibly causing the broken portion to fly up and hit you in the face. I know women who have had both happen to them. If I pin, I usually pin from right to left on the edge of the fabric. That way, I can pull the pins out with my right hand without having to stop, though I do slow down.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:12 AM

Recently, I learned to use spray starch when dealing with triangles - it really does keep the fabric from stretching allowing corners to be matched perfectly.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:02 PM
Power Poster

I have learned lots of things by doing things wrong. Recently and in the past I have learned to keep an open mind when I read directions. I still don't always remember but I try.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:12 PM
Reb

I've learned that I may not piece or quilt as accurately as I would like to. (perfectionist syndrome) And that is okay. Just enjoy it without agonizing over issues that other people will never notice. I guess that is "Don't worry, be happy".
Old 08-26-2013, 12:30 PM

I've learned that accuracy is important if you want your quilt to look right. I've also learned to slow down and make it right and not hurry.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:34 PM

I have learned to slow down when FMQ -- it takes a lot of repition to do it well and if I try to hurry I make mistakes (and by the time I get to the quilting, I am always in a hurry to finish, so this is a constant battle).

I pin to the left of the needle (points toward the needle) -- I can use my 1/4" foot with the flange, I can make sure the pin is out of the way of the presser for (I glue interssections together) and I can pull out the pins with my left hand if the pins are in the way.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:52 PM

To be tollerant & inquisitive of other people's methods. They may have some new trick for me to learn.

Ask for permission to give advice/help

Traditional quilting isn't for me. Give me FMQ anytime.

When trying something new, allow 10x the amount of time I think it will take
Old 08-26-2013, 01:03 PM
Power Poster

Don't promise to make a quilt for everyone you know until finishing at least one!
Old 08-26-2013, 01:04 PM

I've learned to not sweat finishing a project. I have given myself permission that if I am bored, hate it or just plain over a current project, it can go in a drawer and maybe I will finish it at a later date and if I don't, NO BIG DEAL!!!!
If I just want to piece tops and never sandwich, quilt it & bind it, NO BIG DEAL! I have eliminated the stress that comes from having UFOs. I really enjoy the piecing process; the finishing of a quilt not so much. If I need a quilt in a hurry, I can pull one from my pile of flimsies and complete it pretty readily. I quilt because I enjoy it. I don't want to stress over an activity that is for my enjoyment; stress can make it less fun.