Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Leaning from our mistakes >

Leaning from our mistakes

Leaning from our mistakes

Old 08-26-2013, 05:44 PM

I've learned NOT to look away - even for a split second - when cutting fabric. Same goes for sewing a seam.
I've learned to always get a bit more fabric, than a pattern says I need. If I don't, either washing will make the cut edges go wonky . . . or I'll cut something wrong.
I've learned to not start cutting into a random piece of fabric, unless I'm SURE there's enough for the pattern.
I've learned it's fun to make random quilt blocks, just for the fun of it.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:49 PM

I have learned that I should go to bed when I get tired. Finishing up one more block will turn into a disaster and then I am using my ripper the next day, rather than sewing.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:50 PM
Power Poster

I've learned that some days just don't go well.

If possible, do something else for a while.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Think of all the homework papers we tossed while in school! (Most of us tossed them, anyway)
Who did homework?
Old 08-26-2013, 06:01 PM

I have learned that my FMQ comes out much nicer if I am playing music with a slower beat in the background. Trying to remember to slow down while listening to fast paced music makes my hands want to move faster then they should. Also having the television on vs the radio is a no no, I keep looking at the TV and not paying attention to my sewing.

I have learned that necessity is the mother of invention. Its funny the things you can find in your garage or basement that work really great in your sewing room ! ( Rubber mallets ( for stubborn seam bumps ) , mason jars ( the lids for cutting circles and the jars for storage ) , toilet tank flap thingys ( new, not used, they make a quick and easy thread stand with a little bit of duct tape ) .

I have learned that perfection is over rated !!
Old 08-26-2013, 06:05 PM

I've learned that the one thread that is a little skewed is obvious to no one but me.
And, never use scissors, rotary cutters, or seam rippers when you are tired. Ever.
Also, it's okay to throw away cut offs and remnants, and if you can't bear to part with them, use them for dusting.

The best thing: if you absolutely hate it, throw it away. It's so liberating!
Old 08-26-2013, 06:18 PM

I've learned to ask a lot of questions - there is so much knowledge out there for me to pick up. Also I've learned when putting a project away to work on something else (for whatever reason) to put all the fabric and pattern together in a bag or box. I make notes about what step I'm working on so when I pick it back up I don't have to search for anything - makes it easier to get back into the project.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:35 PM

I have learned to leave a note to myself about the actual measurements to cut, before I leave the sewing room--even if it is just to go to the bathroom. Saves soooo much time and fabric!!!

I have learned that I am my worst critic and that I should get over myself. Stop pointing out the glaring (to me) mistakes and graciously accept others' compliments.

I have learned that there is no pattern that I cannot make more difficult just by tweeking it a 'little' bit. ( KISS is still a work in progress in my mind) Had the same problem when I knitted.

I have learned that if it bothers me that much, time to get out the seam ripper and do it again.

I have learned that 4 am (sitting in the bathroom) is probably not the best time to figure out the best layout of my latest creation because you know I won't remember it in the morning.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:00 AM

Cutting and seam sewing accuracy. Learning to press not iron because I have always iron everything with a heavy hand - really can stretch fabric. And when sewing strips sew every other strip in the opposite direction of the last one, really does make a difference.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:03 AM

Oh, one more thing I discovered while paper piecing the blocks for a farmers wife quilt, when you use pins to hold pieces to sew, pins move the fabrics but the sturdy small clips (mine are the small red ones) hold fabric where you want it and because they are flat on the bottom you can sew right up to one before removing.