Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Learned a new trick!

If hand stitching needs to be done to the back. But I say the whole quilt has bee machine sewed so why hand stitch the batting?

BMP
    Blog Entries
    I have never see knife edge before...just wondering if there is a tute out there ??

Blog Entries
    Here is how it is described in a quilt book: Knife edge binding:A binding alternative in which both the quilt top fabric and backing fabric are turned under to meet evenly at the edges of the quilt, leaving the quilt edges without an additional strip of binding fabric.

Bonnie Hunter has a great picture of this type of binding on her blog: It's the last picture:
    http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2012/...es-beauty.html
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    I use knife edge binding on my art quilts. http://bloominworkshop.wordpress.com...-edge-binding/
    If i can figure out how to post a picture I will

Blog Entries

Knife edge binding

Here is a picture (maybe!) of my knife edge binding
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image 

Blog Entries
    Warned ya I dont know how to post pictures! The quilt looks crooked in the picture but it really is very straight. Just the way it is hanging

Quote Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
    I use knife edge binding on my art quilts. http://bloominworkshop.wordpress.com...-edge-binding/
    If i can figure out how to post a picture I will
    Wonderful tutorial, Anita. Thank you!

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Very interesting! I'm surprised that I don't care for it, though. The squared corners on the back don't appeal to me; I prefer mitering for the diagonal finish.

And the thought of closing that thing all the way around with a hidden stitch just makes my heart pound! Yet, I do an applique/hidden stitch to handsew bindings down.....go figure.

Isn't it wonderful there are so many ways to do the same thing?!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.

Blog Entries
    Hand stitch? I cheat. I fold in enough so I can topstitch around 1/4". I do this for most of my made to be used and loved quilts which are about 98% of my quilts. I make one show quilt once a year. I follow all the quilt rules on that one but the others are made for the fun of it.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    I only use this method on art type quilts, not regular quilts. Leaves a nice clean finish without another fabric for binding which can sometimes fight with the design. As far as stitching it down, its no different than sewing down a regular binding. Just applied a little differently. Dont know what you mean by closing it up. Same perimeter. Not sure which tutorial you were looking at. The picture I posted is a wallhanging which took Best In Show in a show this summer and had rave judges comments about the sharp edges.

QUOTE=Jan in VA;5703408]Very interesting! I'm surprised that I don't care for it, though. The squared corners on the back don't appeal to me; I prefer mitering for the diagonal finish.

And the thought of closing that thing all the way around with a hidden stitch just makes my heart pound! Yet, I do an applique/hidden stitch to handsew bindings down.....go figure.

Isn't it wonderful there are so many ways to do the same thing?!

Jan in VA[/QUOTE]

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast