Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Learned a new trick!

Learned a new trick!

This is probably not new to the rest of you, but I have recently bound several quilts in a row for a friend. I machine sew mine to the back, then hand stitch to the front, but in the interest of time, I did these entirely by machine. After struggling to fold over the binding to stitch it in place, I thought about ironing it first. What a difference! Now, after applying the binding to the back, I iron it along the seam, then fold it over and iron the fold into it. Much less resistance for the final decorative sewing. Just thought I'd share.
    Fay

"You can't help that. We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland.

Thank you for a valuable tip! Some quilts are just right for having the binding done entirely by machine.

I would not iron the binding. I use poly batting and afraid it might not work out so well. I also hand sew the binding to the back, I like that look much better.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    thanks for sharing your tip
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I fold and iron mine in half.then sew to the back with a quarter inch seam,then fold to the front and miter the corners.I can not hand stitch as many items as I make and keep up-2 carpal tunnels operations and machine sewing is better for my hands too.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

Quote Originally Posted by faykilgore View Post
    This is probably not new to the rest of you, but I have recently bound several quilts in a row for a friend. I machine sew mine to the back, then hand stitch to the front, but in the interest of time, I did these entirely by machine. After struggling to fold over the binding to stitch it in place, I thought about ironing it first. What a difference! Now, after applying the binding to the back, I iron it along the seam, then fold it over and iron the fold into it. Much less resistance for the final decorative sewing. Just thought I'd share.
    Try elmer's glue with the pressing - a small bead works great!
    Linda

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lfstamper View Post
    I just did this on two quilts and loved it. I was able to sew the binding by hand in far less time. I usually pinned my binding downand then sit with Dh and watch tv,but poke myself with the pins way too much. Be careful not to use too much glue or it is harder to get the needle through!
    A bed without a quilt is like the night sky without stars.

http://californiaquilting.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    I sew binding from back to front too. I have started to use the knife edge binding on my quilts. Many old quilts has this binding.
    Got fabric?

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    BellaBoo,
    What do you mean by "knife edge"? Can you give us a pic?

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    I sew binding from back to front too. I have started to use the knife edge binding on my quilts. Many old quilts has this binding.
    When I was at Quilt Extravaganza (Mancuso's show) I saw alot of the art quilts with a knife edge binding. I thought they were birthed at first (which doesn't make sense since they were all heavily quilted) and I took many pictures of them. I never knew what the technique was called. The effect that this type of binding has on the quilts was stunning. I am definitely planning on trying it sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    BellaBoo,
    What do you mean by "knife edge"? Can you give us a pic?

Jan in VA
    This is a great example of a knife edge binding:

http://thegirlwhoquilts.blogspot.com...christmas.html

If hand stitching needs to be done to the back. But I say the whole quilt has bee machine sewed so why hand stitch the batting?

BMP
    Blog Entries
    I have never see knife edge before...just wondering if there is a tute out there ??

Blog Entries
    Here is how it is described in a quilt book: Knife edge binding:A binding alternative in which both the quilt top fabric and backing fabric are turned under to meet evenly at the edges of the quilt, leaving the quilt edges without an additional strip of binding fabric.

Bonnie Hunter has a great picture of this type of binding on her blog: It's the last picture:
    http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2012/...es-beauty.html
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    I use knife edge binding on my art quilts. http://bloominworkshop.wordpress.com...-edge-binding/
    If i can figure out how to post a picture I will

Blog Entries

Knife edge binding

Here is a picture (maybe!) of my knife edge binding
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Warned ya I dont know how to post pictures! The quilt looks crooked in the picture but it really is very straight. Just the way it is hanging

Quote Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
    I use knife edge binding on my art quilts. http://bloominworkshop.wordpress.com...-edge-binding/
    If i can figure out how to post a picture I will
    Wonderful tutorial, Anita. Thank you!

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Very interesting! I'm surprised that I don't care for it, though. The squared corners on the back don't appeal to me; I prefer mitering for the diagonal finish.

And the thought of closing that thing all the way around with a hidden stitch just makes my heart pound! Yet, I do an applique/hidden stitch to handsew bindings down.....go figure.

Isn't it wonderful there are so many ways to do the same thing?!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Blog Entries
    Hand stitch? I cheat. I fold in enough so I can topstitch around 1/4". I do this for most of my made to be used and loved quilts which are about 98% of my quilts. I make one show quilt once a year. I follow all the quilt rules on that one but the others are made for the fun of it.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    I only use this method on art type quilts, not regular quilts. Leaves a nice clean finish without another fabric for binding which can sometimes fight with the design. As far as stitching it down, its no different than sewing down a regular binding. Just applied a little differently. Dont know what you mean by closing it up. Same perimeter. Not sure which tutorial you were looking at. The picture I posted is a wallhanging which took Best In Show in a show this summer and had rave judges comments about the sharp edges.

QUOTE=Jan in VA;5703408]Very interesting! I'm surprised that I don't care for it, though. The squared corners on the back don't appeal to me; I prefer mitering for the diagonal finish.

And the thought of closing that thing all the way around with a hidden stitch just makes my heart pound! Yet, I do an applique/hidden stitch to handsew bindings down.....go figure.

Isn't it wonderful there are so many ways to do the same thing?!

Jan in VA[/QUOTE]

Blog Entries
    thanks for the tip

Snipforfun, Thanks for the link. Wow, will have to try this especially for the small quilts even mug rugs
    Joyce T, RN retired
    Laughter is the best medicine

I iron my binding seam after attaching to the back of the quilt then turn and clip with those little red clips (love them)
    This way I can see my seam line as I stitch it down on the front. I sew on top of my back seamline.

Quote Originally Posted by lfstamper View Post
    I totally agree! Learned this trick several years ago and I will never do it any other way now. Great thing is you don't have any pins to get in your way and it is completely flexible so you can drape it over your furniture or clothing and not have to worry about getting caught on anything.

That is what I do...I also sometimes use a stitch in the ditch foot on the front and use a decorative stitch with invisible thread in bobbin.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast