Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Learned a new trick!

Blog Entries
    thanks for the tip

Snipforfun, Thanks for the link. Wow, will have to try this especially for the small quilts even mug rugs
    Joyce T, RN retired
    Laughter is the best medicine

I iron my binding seam after attaching to the back of the quilt then turn and clip with those little red clips (love them)
    This way I can see my seam line as I stitch it down on the front. I sew on top of my back seamline.

Quote Originally Posted by lfstamper View Post
    Try elmer's glue with the pressing - a small bead works great!
    I totally agree! Learned this trick several years ago and I will never do it any other way now. Great thing is you don't have any pins to get in your way and it is completely flexible so you can drape it over your furniture or clothing and not have to worry about getting caught on anything.

That is what I do...I also sometimes use a stitch in the ditch foot on the front and use a decorative stitch with invisible thread in bobbin.

Blog Entries
    To me knife edge binding is like leaving an opening to turn a sewn project inside out and then you have the opening to close up by folding the edges in and then sewing the opening closed. This is the way I do it all around the quilt. Sometimes I sew a strip of fabric on both sides of the quilt and turn those in. Looks like binding because the fabric is different but not stuffed. I do it differently however the mood strikes when binding.
    Got fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by wolph33 View Post
    I fold and iron mine in half.then sew to the back with a quarter inch seam,then fold to the front and miter the corners.I can not hand stitch as many items as I make and keep up-2 carpal tunnels operations and machine sewing is better for my hands too.
    Do you start off with 2 1/2 or 2 1/4 inch strips? Does one work better than the other?

Nice to see different ways to do bindings. I think the true knife edge is turned in on front and back and blind stitched at the edge. The other knife edge shown was with binding sewn on the front and turned back so it doesn't show on the front. Then sewn on the back.
    One more way to make a quilt reversible is to make your binding of two fabrics. Half matches the front and the other half matches the back. I think Betty Cotton shows how to do this. That way one color shows only on the front and the other color only on the back. This is tricky to get perfect, but I've seen it done perfectly.

One other thing: when we talk about glue, I think we should always use the words "school glue" You never know when someone will see a comment about glue who has never heard about it before, and thinks all glue is the same. Just don't want someone to get the wrong idea and mess up a project.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Blog Entries
    Thank you, I'm always looking for new ways of doing things.
    I think that I'll try this on some left over quilt blocks.
    Veronica

So glad to learn this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast