Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Lighting a sewing table area

Quote Originally Posted by grammy Dwynn View Post
    I have a Janome 6500, and the lighting on it is poor and my eyesight is needs help. I have a Ott behind the machine and then have 'Bendable' light attached to the side. So with those two I can see.
    Ottlite for me before i got a machine with stadium lighting
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D

Z
    I have two overhead light fixtures which have tubes similar to the Ott light florescent tubes. I believe they are called daylight. They are slim bulbs and require a special fixture. The bulbs are smaller in diameter than a regular florescent
    bulb. They are energy saving. I got them at Home Depot. Have a look at the Ott website for plenty of information about their products. Joanne's frequently has 50% off on all Ott lights.

I have a very small bendy light from Ikea that doesn't take up much space and can be positioned to shine onto the bed of my sewing machine. It's like this one

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70180955/

Very similar anyway. And it comes in several colours - I've got a bright pink one!

Blog Entries
    I dont know if you can make some kind of a small shelf, above your sewing machine/table, and use a fluroscent/daylight fixture.

I have several Ott lites that I use. One behind my sewing machine, one behind my left shoulder so I can press seams, one on the small table to my right where I trim blocks, etc. and then another one in the room where my cutting table is. Got a great deal last month at Joanne's.Got a table model light and with that purchase, they threw in a floor model light. The older I get, the more important good lighting is for me. The one thing about the Ott lights, and other similar brands, is they don't put out as much heat as regular lights. If I get too hot, I get kind of cranky!!!!
    Deanne Ellen

Quilts,Books,and Wine,Oh My!

Blog Entries
    Thanks Everyone! I'm glad to know it's not just me who can't see without lights everywhere. Tons of great info for me to explore so I'm not sorry later. I'm getting the idea that positioning the lights may be like at a photo studio - lights for all angles. I appreciate all the input and today I'm going to go Light Up my Quilt Life!

I have fallen in love with the bendable table light that Bonnie Hunter uses from Ikea. I've bought two and have asked a friend to pick up two more for me. They're only $10 apiece and come in an assortment o colors.
    Karen in Kentucky

I use a floor model ott lite and it's bendable so I face it where it's needed, great lighting.

When we moved we ended up with some additional bedside lamps. One in particular is a while iron lamp with an arm. I put that to the right of my sewing machine and it give me great light for sewing or cutting. I hadn't thought about getting the ott light bulbs and not the entire ott lamps so I will try that as well.

I have the little florescent light strips that goes under the kitchen cabinets. The work great and give up plenty of light.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast