Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lighting a sewing table area >

Lighting a sewing table area

Lighting a sewing table area

Old 03-11-2013, 05:32 AM

I use a clamp on swing arm desk lamp but drill a hole in the table to hold the light and then I can position the light where ever I need it.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:48 AM

My son gave me an Ottlite table light (bought at Jo-Ann's) for Christmas which I love (The light on my machine does not work). This light is slim line, adjustable, has an on/off switch on the base (the switch on my former light was in the cord and a nuisance to get to) takes up very little room at the left end of my sewing machine cabinet and I can direct the light where I want it. It's has a cool, bright, long lasting bulb. Great little light!
Old 03-11-2013, 06:30 AM

I use 2 Ott lights near my sewing machine and my husband made me an overhead light that can be moved over the cutting/work table to wherever I need it. I also have track lights that are controlled individually so I can use one track at a time depending on what I'm doing. Here is a photo.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]401134[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 03-11-2013, 06:58 AM

Where do you get the ott bulbs? fabric store? I haven't looked for that sounds like a good thing to use with the lamps I already have.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:45 AM

The fairly new strips of LED lights mounted on the underside of your machine throat are wonderful. I would recommend the 6 strand even though they are somewhat expensive, they really light up the work place.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
I have the bendable bright light on my Janome 6600. It helps but I think I need a
strip light like this. http://www.ecoluxlighting.com/. It was recommended by some
QB members a while ago.
I too have a Janome 6600 and found the lighting to be inadequate.

I love the ecolux system -- but you can make your own for a much lower price. You would buy an LED light strip, typically at an auto store, wire them to a power source. Looking for the youtube video that shows how to do it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNRoI...ure=plpp_video
Old 03-11-2013, 08:46 AM

I could not get by without my bendable brite lite, it is such a help as you can direct the light right onto your presser foot, I also have a small ott lite that I keep right behind my machine to shine the light right on my needle plate
Old 03-11-2013, 09:02 AM

My vote goes to Ott lites. I have several, some table to some bendable & some floor models. I just move them to the best location for me. I also have a clamp lite, magnifier that I bought from my SINGER dealer that is fantastic when I need close ups for stitch removal, especially on dark fabrics.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:36 AM

I have my sewing machine against the wall between two windows, then on the wall I attached a 30-inch fluorescent light. In the daytime I open up the blinds and there is plenty of natural light, and then I turn the wall light on at night and on cloudy days. My Janome Horizon has sufficient lights that allows me to sew without hurting my eyes. When I am doing dark fabrics, then I put an Ott light next to the machine. Sometimes I use one of those LED head gear that plumbers and carpenters use which I focus on the needle part.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:44 AM

OTT lights are the best! Joann's just recently had a deal buy a floor lamp for half price and get a desk light FREE! Well worth it! I have both using with my 6500 and they work great! Both are bendable so I can adjust the light right where I need it most.