Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long arm quilting machines, which is best and reliable >

Long arm quilting machines, which is best and reliable

Long arm quilting machines, which is best and reliable

Old 01-23-2014, 07:25 AM

Default Long arm quilting machines, which is best and reliable

A friend has a long arm quilting machine, Hasquvarna Viking machine , and not sure what she wants for it. But it was explained to me that has "cruise control" and she has only used it 2 times. I think I would like to have a long arm for my own personal use but not sure if I can warrant the cost. There is so much you have to investigate before purchasing one. What is it that you really need to know about the vendor, etc.
I hope to know more about this machine but would like to know from quilters their opinions. I have a Bernia 440 and get frustrated quilting on it. I know practice makes perfect but I would rather not have to move the quilt to work on it. So hopefully fellow quilters will give me some good advice.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:48 AM
Power Poster

I also have the Bernina 440, and I purchased an Innova longarm several years ago. I love the Innova, and if I had to choose again, that's what I would buy. But there are many different longarms, and what's right for me may not be what's best for you. It's a major purchase, so you should go to a quilt show where a lot of different machines are available for inspection. Play with them, ask questions, make a chart of features that are important to you, ask about getting training, and then make your decision.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:38 AM
Power Poster

Think of a LA as a car. Many brands are reliable but what is best is a very personal opinion. As Dunster said, what is best for me may not be best for you. I would classify the Viking as a starter machine for some people. Me, I also decided an Innova was the right machine for me and I didn't want to have to upgrade down the road. You need to learn everything you can about these machines and research racks too. Decide what features you find you can not sacrifice and what features you can. Then you need to set a budget, how much are you willing to spend for these features.

For me it was stitch regulator. The Cruise control is a low end stitch regulator. I wanted an industrial grade machine because I wanted to be able to quilt for others. I didn't want to spend several thousand dollars only to find I wanted more machine a year or two down the road.

There are so many factors to consider. Most people research for about a year before making the final plunge. Why is your friend looking to get rid of hers? Did she think LA quilting was going to be easier than it is? Is the machine causing her too much aggravation? Is it too difficult to load a quilt on the type of rack she has? Is it too small? Keep in mind the reasons she has for getting rid of it, may also come home to roost for you as well.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 01-23-2014 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:40 AM
Power Poster

There were 2 Viking frame setups, one a 9" mid arm and the other an 18" long arm, so it depends on the one she has. The 18" one is made by, and identical to the TinLizzie LS18. Which one she has makes a huge difference in price. I have the 18". I really like the machine, haven't had need for support, but don't like the frame. The rails on which the machine rides are plastic and deteriorate. They sell replacements, but you have to take the entire frame apart to install them.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:01 AM
Power Poster

If it's the one with the smaller harp size (9"), be aware that many people get frustrated with the small amount of space left to quilt in once you get to the end of a bed sized quilt. That may be why the one for sale got used only twice. It's fine as a beginning frame setup, especially as a transition from quilting on a domestic machine, but most who like frame quilting upgrade as soon as they can to a machine with a larger harp.

You should probably decide on your budget first. That will eliminate or identify lots of setups. For example, if you can spend $20,000 or so then I would definitely recommend looking at an Innova. In general, no matter what machine you are looking at, you want the machine and frame to work together well. This usually means purchasing them at the same time.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:28 PM

Thank for your input. It gives me a lot to consider. Will ask a lot of questions. Plan to go to Paducah quilt show in April . Most of the replies quote an Innova. I am not in a hurry. Have a lot to think about.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:17 PM

I know someone with this machine, in the 9" throat, and although she has done quite a few quilts with it, she has quickly outgrown that size throat and is frustrated now. She tried unsuccessfully to sell it last year for $1000.

My advice to you is to test drive as many machines as possible, research as many machines as possible, then buy the biggest and best you can possibly afford, so you'll be happy with it for a long time.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:29 PM

Another tidbit, google "long arm rentals" That is what I did when I decided I wasnt going to quilt on a DSM I found 2 places close to me (under 1hr drive) that rented their long arms for use. They will make you take a beginners class, basically expect to pay $100 or so upfront for the class. Definitely worth it to know if you actually will WANT to work on one before sinking the money into it. Also gives you a feel for what options you absolutely need and what options are worth the "upgrade" later. Then go test out the machines at a show.

I learned on a Prodigy 24in throat. It was a nice machine and ran well. I ended up buying an Innova 22in and am in love! I loved the options I got with this machine. But without actually putting hands on a machine and testing it, I would never sink the kind of money on one.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
For example, if you can spend $20,000 or so then I would definitely recommend looking at an Innova.
The Innova isn't that much unless you buy a lot of bells and whistles. An 18" throat with frame and basic stitch regulator (not the lightening stitch) will be less than half of that.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:56 AM
Power Poster

I have the 9 in which I use for all my piecing it is not on a frame, I love it for piecing but not a deep enought throat for me to have on the frame. I had the 18 in on an imperial frame, was a good machine but not happy with the frame. I now have a Babylock Crown Jewel on a Pearl Frame. I love it. Innova is also a wonderful machine. I would suggest trying as many machines as you can before you invest.