Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
long arm quilting prices >

long arm quilting prices

long arm quilting prices

Old 11-18-2017, 03:12 PM

Post long arm quilting prices

Hi Ladies, I have a question, I have 7 quilts to be quilted and it's been some time since I have had this done so I'm not sure what a fair price is for the long arm quilting. I don't want any specialty quilting, just a pattern built into the machine. I know now that I should have kept up with the finishing but then instead of having the quilting done I used the money to buy more fabric. Sounds familiar huh. Most are large quilts, 95 X 95 or 100 X 100. I appreciate any help. Thank BusyLizzie
Old 11-18-2017, 03:36 PM

I pay 2cents a inch. Go luck because at that rate you will be out about 13 or 14 hundred.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:00 PM
Power Poster

Can you quilt some of them yourself? I would use a walking foot and do wavy lines, which is very fast. To cut down on bulk under the arm of the machine, I would leave the top and backing fabric intact, but carefully cut the batting into sections. Here are some links that would demonstrate what I am suggesting:
http://www.bijoulovelydesigns.com/20...-tutorial.html
https://www.candiedfabrics.com/2013/...ing-as-you-go/
https://www.candiedfabrics.com/2014/...go-no-sashing/

Are these quilts that need to be quilted before Christmas? If so, you may have difficulty finding a longarmer who would be able to fit them in. Many longarmers have waiting list around this time of year. Mailing can be an option, but it does add to the cost and there is always some risk involved with the mail.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:55 PM
Power Poster

I have always done my own quilting. I just do an all over FMQ, I love the look and love doing it. It does use more thread but, with the money I have spent on fabrics ( read large quantity) the cost of thread is not that much. That way I can honestly say I made the quilt.

I now mostly make kid size quilts and donate. I just donated 36 or 37.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:58 PM

Two cents per inch is the going price at the LQS in my city. You provide the batting. Some also charge for thread, some don't. This is for computerized quilting, not custom.

Sometimes when you get out of the city, you can get some deals on quilting. My cousin sent the name of someone who quilts for someone in her church. She charged significantly less. However, when I called, she said she was full right now. I decided to wait until after the first of the year to call again. She's about 65 miles north of the city.

bkay
Old 11-18-2017, 08:58 PM

In my part of the US ... 2 cents per inch is about right. So take your 95 x 95 and times that by 0.02 and it comes up to around $180.00. That’s for an edge to edge design or a pantograph.. about the same thing. If I drive about 40 miles out of town I can get it for 0.015 (15 cents an inch) and that includes batting.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:32 AM

Around here an allover pantograph pattern is two cents per square inch, with the customer providing the batting. Many longarmmers also add in the cost of the thread.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:53 AM

If you consider quilting them yourself you could have a longarmer baste them for you. Saves you a lot of work and time and doesn't cost too much(about $40 per quilt).
Old 11-19-2017, 08:18 AM

I am in sw Missouri and charge 2 cents per square inch for custom quilting, plus thread charge and batting charge. I was just on the website of a shop in Greentop, Missouri and about fell out of my chair to see they charged 8.5 cents per square inch for custom quilting.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:45 AM

Bobbielinks,

With respect, you appear to be undervaluing your expertise if you are charging the going rate for all over quilting for your custom work.

MSQC charges 2 cents per square inch for all over designs, extra for batting, backing and binding.

I am sure rates vary by location. LAQ in cities will have higher overhead. Those in the country will have to cover the costs of longer trips to the post office, or if they only accept quilts in person, fewer local customers.

I checked a couple Canadian sites and 2 cents per sq/in is standard, with one site currently having a 6 week turn around time, and looking to hire more staff, so they can work until 11 pm. These are mail order sites.