Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which Longarm to buy >

Which Longarm to buy

Which Longarm to buy

Old 12-07-2011, 04:30 PM

It really is a personal choice. I have the 18 " Innova but went to a quilt expo and my mom and I tried all the machines out. We had it narrowed down to the Gammil and the Innova. The only downside I could possible see with the Gammil is that it needs to be oiled and you can't stop mid project where it is because the oil could leak onto your project. Now, that's just a personal thing for us that we didn't like about it. As long as you know it, you can just make sure you never it sitting over a project. The Gammil was one of my top choices. I think you should go back to each machine and find your own likes and dislikes about each machine.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by KathyAire View Post
Test drive all of them again at the Houston show. I had an old, old Gammill Classic and sold it and just got an A-1. In fact, it's not even set up yet. Was delivered Wednesday, but because of the quilt show, dealer can't be here to set it up until after the show. I drove all of them at all the quilt shows I've been to. I always went back to the A-1.

You have to make your own decision. See what feels best for you.
I agree. Sew with what makes you happy. I just got my A-1 and it has wonderful agility. I also liked the Prodigy. I was told to stay away from APQS - I have no idea why, so I ignored that comment.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:57 PM

I have a Tin Lizzie 18LS that I purchased last spring. I love it! Any problems I have had (which are few) have been operator error. I don't have QBot, so it's just me. I have done one quilt using a pantograph and working from the back fo the machine. It worked very well. The rest of the quilts I've done (about 6) have been done working from the front doing free motion. I love doing free motion. I have a lot to learn, but I am making progress. : ) I can't speak to the APQS or the Gammill. I've never worked with them. Good luck with your decision. I hope you're very happy with whatever you decide to buy.

Kerry in WA
Old 12-08-2011, 04:38 AM

I've had a Gammill for 15 years and never had a problem with it. In fact I am in the process of selling it only because I don't quilt as much as I used to. And I only used this machine for myself, my Mom and my daughters quilts. It's been a wonderul machine. No complaints. I wish you luck with your decision.
Linda from Clinton
Old 12-09-2011, 08:08 AM

Test drive all of them again at the Houston show. I had an old, old Gammill Classic and sold it and just got an A-1. In fact, it's not even set up yet. Was delivered Wednesday, but because of the quilt show, dealer can't be here to set it up until after the show. I drove all of them at all the quilt shows I've been to. I always went back to the A-1.

I agree with Kathy. Try them ALL out if you have time. You never know which one will be the best fit till you try it!. I had a table top frame with a Juki to start, quickly upgraded to an HQ16 on the same frame, and eventually got a used Gammill. There IS a learning curve, so don't be surprised! I know I did a round about way of getting a long arm, but I learned ALOT with each upgrade. It worked well for me, but I would not suggest it for everyone! If you have a friend that has a machine, ask if you can try it out. When you DO get a system, ask if there is a users group online. My Gammill group is WONDERFUL. they solved a minor IRRITATING problem that my dealer waved off as being my fault. It was NOT me, it was a minor adjustment on the frame. Other users have many of the same issues you will face. They are invaluable! (Angels in disguise! lolol)
Old 12-09-2011, 11:29 AM

Buy the one that you love. I have an APQS Millennium and love it. Their service is wonderful. I honestly didn't even try out any other machines. I have a friend that had an APQS machine and she had never had any trouble with it. So my hubby took me up to their showroom in Des Moines, Iowa and the rest is history.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:52 PM

First things first, I'm telling you what I would tell a dear friend, if she were looking,
try all of em, compare features and prices, you wont know you like it until you try it, go to several different vendors.
then go to the one with the best deal. BUT...It may be difficult for you to find a vendor close to your home, keep that in mind, cuz if it needs serviced, where will it have to go? When I purchased mine, I wound up with a vendor I didnt like, and
he really didnt fix my machine, so I had to Buy an empty box, almost $100. and send it to Arizona, I'm in Ohio.
good luck, youll do fine, just make sure it has all the features you want on it, AND a stitch regulator.
Katz
Old 01-10-2012, 05:02 PM

I would bet that most people here are sold on the long arm they have. I posted another post on this forum about how I didn't have the advantage of being able to travel and try out any long arms. I had been doing some free motion quilting on my DSM...the harp wasn't very large and I would get pretty frustrated trying to manipulate all that fabric around. I did a lot of on and off line research, and one of my biggest concerns was over how easy it would be to service my own long arm. How good was the customer support? I ended up deciding on the APQS Millie with the blissed frame and quilt glide. The sales rep that came and did the install was very good at getting the machine up and running, but not very good at showing me much about running the machine. In the end I was glad that it went that way, because I learned just how user friendly my machine is. Pretty much a press and play situation. I've changed threads both top and bottom....adjusted the tension, and my stitches have been lovely both on top and below. I haven't had the machine a full month yet, but I'm feeling confident enought to go ahead and load my first real top on the frame. If you can go and try a number of long arms, I think that would be to your advantage. I couldn't do that, and I'm very very happy with the machine I chose.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:07 PM

Im thinking about the A1, have a great Rep. that also owns a Quilt Retreat, the extra incentive from her is if I end up buying this one, she will give me a lifetime invite to her retreat at no charge. Plus all the extra training she is going to give me. I am all about great customer service. She has an A1 and loves it, and has invited me to come and spend the day with her quilting, Whoohoo!!

Karen - good luck on your quest, its a tough call if you liked them all.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:24 PM

My LQS has a Lizzie and sells them. She would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.
She does out of her way to help a customer even if it doesn't involve a sale for her! She is a personal friend and enjoys quilting. She had out of state people who bought a Lizzie elsewhere, call for support for nothing more than a thank you! PM me and I will give you her number. When you read online reviews about products, just remember that more people who have had bad experiences with something tend to post more to vent frustrations than do people who have really good experiences.