Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
???? Longarm quilting machines >

???? Longarm quilting machines

???? Longarm quilting machines

Old 07-18-2011, 11:50 AM

I do machine embroidery,and turn my finished pieces into quilts. The quilts I make are VERY large. The last one was the story of the night before Christmas, which measured 120" x 120". My problem is being able to quilt my quilts. They are too big to quilt them in the sewing machine. I've checked into having them professionally quilted, but was told the embroidery work would get into the way and would be too much trouble for them to do the quilting.. so I have to hand quilting them. Now here is my dilemma, should I invest in a long arm quilting machine? if so which one? Should I spend $ 15,00.00 on a fancy computer job or a basic model? Is hand guided with styus better than no lighted stylu? Every quilt shop I have called or visited has tried to sell me their top of the line models without giving me the answers to my problems. Any help and suggestions would be so very welcome and needed. :?:
Old 07-18-2011, 12:02 PM

Personally I think that if you spend $15,000 on a long arm and will have to make payments on it, then it becomes too expensive a "hobby", so you have to "work" for others, thus it becomes a "job" and not a "hobby", so it's not as fun. There are some quilting machines out there that are quite a bit less than $15,000, the ones I can think of right off my head are, Bailey, WOW, Tin Lizzie, I know there's more out there. I know that the Bailey and the Tin Lizzie have pretty good reputations.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:05 PM

Is there a place that you can test drive the different machines? Not just a minute or two sales demo --- really put it through it's paces? That would be the best way to tell what you need. I am just starting the research process myself on purchasing a longarm. I already know I want a fourth rail (for batting), ability to change frame size to accomodate crib up to king, a stitch regulator, and a stylus of some sort (haven't decided if it will be a dowel type or a laser or maybe both is they're not that expensive). I'd like to be able to use the machine from both sides of the frame. I have seen a couple that pretty much fit this bill. Have you considered a mid-arm domestic machine (the Viking Megaquilter/Pfaff Grand quilter) and frame might be an option for you, and the cost will certainly be lots less.

I will be watching your thread --- I'm sure there's lots more points to consider that haven't even occurred to me yet. Happy hunting!!
Old 07-18-2011, 12:12 PM

I think there are a lot more questions to be answered than just buying a LA. Why won't your LA quilter do custom work? I know there are many right here on this board who will do custom quilting and can work around your embroidery. I think you need to go to a quilt show and give a LA a try and see if it really something that you want invest your $$$ in. Lots of quilters buy them without having any idea of what is involved, then end up selling them. And I certainly wouldn't spend 15k for a top of the line setup to just quilt 2 or 3 quilts a year. Lots of questions to get answers for before you can start thinking about which one to buy. JMHO :lol:
Old 07-18-2011, 12:22 PM
Power Poster

You need to find a LA quilter willing to custom quilt around the embroidery. Those that told you it is too hard are LAQ that don't know how to do anything but all over design or end to end pantos. There is absolutely no reason embroidery cant be quilted around.

Now, if you are still dead set on getting your own machine, I see you are in Texas. Check out ABM Innova machines. They are made right there in your great state. I have one and can't say enough good things about mine.

For what you describe you would need an absolute minimum of a 12ft frame. For quilting around embroidery, I would not start out with computer guided, unless that is what you really want and you are a whiz at digitizing designs on a computer that will go around your embroidery. Personally, I think you are better off with hand guided. The Innova comes automatically with a laser light but I don't see you getting much use out of it because they are made for pantos and you will need to work from the front of your machine to custom quilt around the embroider, not over it.

I would definitely get a stitch regulator though. The Innova's new lightening stitch is a dream.

Not a salesperson for this brand, just a very happy satisfied customer.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:29 PM

I say, if you can honestly ask yourself that specific question, for a hobby (if it is a hobby) without first hyperventilating, go ahead and buy the $15,000 longarm and let me live vicariously through you! Please
Old 07-18-2011, 12:59 PM

With the size of your quilts being 120 inches square (10 feet), you are going to need a minimum 12 foot table. So, keep that in mind when shopping for your longarm. The size of the embroidery blocks might provide an indication to the size machine throat you would want. Ideally, you would want to be able to quilt around an entire embroidery without having to roll the quilt.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:01 PM

It is my dream to have a long arm and about a year ago I started to look seriously at them.
I am in the UK so not such a wide choice and not so easy to even see them....but I have decided against one not just because of cost, but also because of the space needed and also the time that it would take me to learn to use it so that I would be confident to do a quilt.
If you just want to do the computerised designs then that would be fine...but if you want to quilt round dsigns...then this becomes an art which unless you are really talented will take much time to learn.
It's such a huge purchase I think you have to be really confident that you will be able to do what you want to achieve........best of luck with either your purchase or finding someone talented that can do the quilting for you.....as for me I'll continue practising my FMQ and dreaming.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:02 PM
Power Poster

first off- i've long-arm quilted quite a few embroidered quilts- don't understand the ...can't do that- my only problem with your quilt is the size---length- not a big deal but really a pain in the butt when they are wider than 110"...but it's still not impossible- just a pain in the butt.

if you truely are thinking a long-arm could be in your future- you need to start going to shops and shows and trying out all the different machines- what works for me may not for you- we are all different- and we like different things-
test drive! it's like buying a car- and it's an investment- if you are thinking of putting out the money you don't want to just buy the first deal that comes along- thinking well- it's a longarm===you may hate it and a few years later sell it out of desparation and take a loss--
don't buy the first one you try out- go out there and test drive as many as you can locate!
Old 07-18-2011, 01:27 PM

Actually, a "basic" longarm will run you at least $15,000 ... the computer version are an additional $15,000 or so, for a total of over $30,000. I bought my Gammill longarm 8 years ago and paid just over $15,000. I think the price has gone up since then.