Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Longarm quilting is not cheating >

Longarm quilting is not cheating

Longarm quilting is not cheating

Old 03-15-2012, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

Well, I am glad you contained your laughter until after she left." Defiling your quilt top?".....I was snickering as I read that one.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:40 AM

lol.... I had a neighbor (in upper 70's) told me just last summer that I would "ruin" my quilts by machine quilting them. I told her... No I would not.

I make my quilts for them to be used. She makes hers and DARES anyone to use them. She expects them to be placed in a safe spot for keeping. Not me!!!

You just have to laugh and go on your merry way.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:57 AM

I'm proud of you for keeping your "verbal filter" in the "ON" position. I know that mine would have automatically switched to the "OFF" position and I would have fired back an equally rude response. Then I would have had to feel bad all day that I hadn't controlled my tongue to an 80 year old that could have been my mother (who had NO problem voicing HER opinions).Good for you for being silent! I bet your quilt is beautiful!!
Old 03-15-2012, 06:59 AM

If I 'had' to hand quilt and not long arm quilt - i'd of never taken up quilting! fact :-)
Old 03-15-2012, 07:18 AM

If it were a practice piece I was working on, I might have offered to let her try it to feel the joy of creating in this new way!
Old 03-15-2012, 07:27 AM

I am very sorry you had to experience this. Some time back I was in a DR's office hand sewing binding on a machine quilted quilt and was told that I had ruined the quilt by machine quilting it. I have several hand quilted quilts that I did before I got my Gammill. I enjoy both the hand quilting and the machine quilting and find a place for both. I always admire the hand quilting but I tend to do more machine quilting and I also admire the beautiful machine quilting that I see.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:05 AM

You gals are so supportive . My momma always told me if I didn't have anything nice to say then I need not say anything at all. But it did take me a good couple minutes to process what she said. Ah well, win some loose some . I will just have to post a picture of the finished quilt today!
Old 03-15-2012, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Yikes. I think I would have had to tell her to get back on her meds pronto. I hear Lithium is great for quilting police disorder.
Good one, Candace!
Old 03-15-2012, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

What an interesting old woman! I think I might have engaged her in a discussion of what she meant by cheating and defiling, not in a combative way, but just to hear more of her opinions. Sometimes people start out on the offensive just because they want to get a conversation started. I think the loss of the speech filter is often a part of the aging process. It seems that she wanted to talk to someone. I hope someone talks to me when I'm old and crabby. DH says I'm halfway there, and I'm not sure which half he means. LOL
Old 03-15-2012, 09:37 AM

I'm glad you just let it go. Quilting definitely allows different strokes for different folks, so best to ignore the quilt police.

Personally, I prefer doing LA quilting to home machine quilting (I tend to do large quilts, don't like fighting all the fabric layers, and was lucky to be able to afford to buy one after years of renting) and I prefer using pantographs to computerized quilting (feels more handmade to me).

That being said, I have taken several quilt classes from award winning teachers that sew large quilts on home machines (Diane Gaudynski and Susan Rasmussen) and enjoyed them immensely. Some of their tips also carry over to LA use. I have also seen computerized quilts that are lovely. I also admire handquilting, but I also tried that and my hands don't like it.