Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for a machine for travelling >

Looking for a machine for travelling

Looking for a machine for travelling

Old 08-23-2015, 05:09 PM

My travel/class machine is a Bernina 350. It's small enough that it doesn't take too much room in my car . . .and even fits perfectly in the SWA overhead bin when I fly. But most importantly, I can use my Bernina feet and most accessories on both machines.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:22 PM

I have two vintage Singer Featherweight machines that I love for quilting classes. That said, my travel machine is a 70's vintage Elna Lotus. Just as light weight but also does zigzag and a few other utility stitches so if I have to make a clothing repair, I have what I need. Sweet little machine, the sides fold up to form the case. I bought mine at a garage sale but I see the prices going up on them. I sew on a Bernina at home too, and I really miss it's features when I use one of my vintage machines. I think I would recommend a 200 or 300-series Bernina so you are familiar with it and all you accessories will fit.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:25 AM
Power Poster

Looks like you are getting as many different answers as there are machines. As far as piecing a quilt, the Featherweight is my all time favorite. You just have to figure for yourself what you need in a machine.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:15 AM

I am taking my 301 singer to the retreats. love it. I have a brother machine as well and a singer from a box store that my son got me. nothing runs like an old singer in my HO.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:54 AM

I have a Janome Gem that I take to classes - great machine! It's always reassuring to know that there is a dealer near by.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:52 AM

Make a list of the features you need this machine to have in order to be happy.

DON'T just buy something super cheap if that's going to aggravate you when you actually go to use it.

For me, my "must have" list included the scissor cut button. I do foundation-pieced crazy quilts and that button makes my life a lot easier. I also really wanted to be able to share bobbins between my travel machine and my main machine, so I made sure they'd be compatible. I also wanted to get a machine that came with an extension bed.

My main machine is a Janome 6600, so I bought a Janome 3160 to be my travel companion as it hit 100% of my "must haves" on my list. It's a pretty great machine, it can't quite handle the heavy layers like the big machine can but for piecing and general sewing it's wonderful. It's NOT a cheap machine, but for me it was worth the expense.

Ironically, I got into vintage machines immediately after buying her, and now rotate machines I take with me on vacation so she doesn't go on as many trips now! I just need to go on MORE vacations! LOL (She's still my primary machine to take to classes, though.)
Old 08-24-2015, 06:15 AM

I have a Janome Jem and love it.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by quiltnmom View Post
My husband and I went yo visit my daughter that lives in the mountains. There is a darling quilt shop in the small town. We are planning to visit on a regular basis. The mountains were so peaceful. I an considering on purchasing a machine only for travel purposes. I have a Bernina at home as that is what my local shop sells. The shop in the mountains sells Janome. The offer great classes. I don't know if I should go with a Vernon's because that's what I'm used to, a Jsnome because that's. Whet the shop in the mountains sells or something entirely different since it wont be my primary machine. I would like to keep the cost at a minimum also.
Be very careful whatever machine you buy and ensure that your seams are the same on your travel and home machine. I bought a Kenmore from Sears as a travel machine. It had a 1/4 foot for quilting. I thought I had made sure it was a correct 1/4" on seams and took it to a class. Pieced some strips there then went home and finished up on my Bernina. Then I found that they didn't match. A tiny difference in a seams grows to a large difference if there are a lot of pieces in a strip.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:21 AM

Personally I like having the same brand machine (Baby Lock for me) at home and for travel. My travel machine was purchased used on ebay at a really good price. It sews well. The feet are interchangeable between my big home machine and the smaller machine. It is fairly light and has nice features as well. I did invest in a rolling tote to lug it around and to store it when not in use.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:24 AM

Brother machines are nice and light for travel. Try looking online for their refurbished machines. Or get one from Walmart, that's what I did and I've been quite happy with it for 3 years.