Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for memory/photo quilt pattern

Looking for memory/photo quilt pattern

I am interested in making a quilt for my parents' 50th wedding anniversary which will be early next year. I have printed photos on fabric before and will use this technique for the quilt. I am trying to find a pattern to use for the quilt that is not too complicated but haven't had any luck. I was thinking about putting the pictures in the center of a block like Ohio Star or sawtooth star but want something a little more interesting for the layout. Has anyone here done a quilt like this or have suggestions for layout? I typed memory quilt and photo quilt into the forum search but didn't really get any hits of pictures for these kinds of quilts. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!! Fran
    Redrover0628

I have made several quilts with pictures. For large pictures, I kept things simple with just sashing (I used 3 strips of 2 colors with stars for cornerstones). For the smaller pictures, I used filler blocks (just took a block I liked). I sashed around the pictures to bring them up to the size of the filler block. The Warm Wishes pattern makes a nice frame for pictures. I would get some grid paper and sketch.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I've never made one, sorry I can't help.

Blog Entries
    When I made mine I had no pattern - I just let it flow - sorry can't find pics of it quickly will keep looking

Name:  family quilt.jpg
Views: 3884
Size:  6.0 KB
    Last edited by sharon b; 07-06-2012 at 10:54 AM.
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

Blog Entries
    Sorry it isn't a better pic- but you get the idea
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

I just made one for my cousin's 50th. In the center, like a medallion, I put a pic of the Christmas photo he and his wife sent out. Next, I bordered this with a strip of their 3-year-old's handprints (coordinated with my cousin's wife). Around the outside, I used 12" blocks. The four corners were identical in framing the pictures. Then the final 12 blocks were each a different star block with the photo in the center. I used autumn colors which coordinated with the colors of paint used for the handprints. In the past, I made a photo quilt where each photo was the "window" in a paper-pieced schoolhouse block.

Snowball blocks? You can make them any size you'd like & they are really adaptable to any style.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Blog Entries
    I have this pattern with tissue paper for four wall quilts plus extra practice blocks. i never used it. just let me know where to mail it if you want to try it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I just finished this quilt for my friend's 70th birthday. I went to Picasa and collaged each group of pictures I wanted to showcase. Each collage was printed on my ink jet printer using 8.5" X 11.5" Printed Treasures fabric. When all were printed, I just sashed around them and then arranged them in a pleasing design. I added 3D pinwheel blocks in two corners, writing memories underneath the 3D part. I quilted around the individual photos in the collages. I realize blue and green is a somewhat unusual color combination, but they were our high school colors.

I've attached close-ups of a couple of the individual blocks so you can see what I mean. The size of the quilt just evolved as I worked with the pictures I wanted to use. It turned out 64" X 66.5".
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Smoky Lake, Alberta, Canada - Coolidge, AZ
    I used the Double Irish Chain pattern for the memory quilt I made for my DIL. It's a super easy pattern.

Name:  IMG_3749sm.jpg
Views: 4561
Size:  191.8 KB

Name:  IMG_3752sm.jpg
Views: 3833
Size:  148.2 KB

Name:  IMG_3747sm.jpg
Views: 3869
Size:  161.4 KB
    Last edited by Gail B; 07-07-2012 at 05:06 AM. Reason: Add photos

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast