Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking for memory/photo quilt pattern

Looking for memory/photo quilt pattern

I am interested in making a quilt for my parents' 50th wedding anniversary which will be early next year. I have printed photos on fabric before and will use this technique for the quilt. I am trying to find a pattern to use for the quilt that is not too complicated but haven't had any luck. I was thinking about putting the pictures in the center of a block like Ohio Star or sawtooth star but want something a little more interesting for the layout. Has anyone here done a quilt like this or have suggestions for layout? I typed memory quilt and photo quilt into the forum search but didn't really get any hits of pictures for these kinds of quilts. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!! Fran
    Redrover0628

I have made several quilts with pictures. For large pictures, I kept things simple with just sashing (I used 3 strips of 2 colors with stars for cornerstones). For the smaller pictures, I used filler blocks (just took a block I liked). I sashed around the pictures to bring them up to the size of the filler block. The Warm Wishes pattern makes a nice frame for pictures. I would get some grid paper and sketch.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I've never made one, sorry I can't help.

Blog Entries
    When I made mine I had no pattern - I just let it flow - sorry can't find pics of it quickly will keep looking

Name:  family quilt.jpg
Views: 5101
Size:  6.0 KB
    Last edited by sharon b; 07-06-2012 at 10:54 AM.
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

Blog Entries
    Sorry it isn't a better pic- but you get the idea
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

I just made one for my cousin's 50th. In the center, like a medallion, I put a pic of the Christmas photo he and his wife sent out. Next, I bordered this with a strip of their 3-year-old's handprints (coordinated with my cousin's wife). Around the outside, I used 12" blocks. The four corners were identical in framing the pictures. Then the final 12 blocks were each a different star block with the photo in the center. I used autumn colors which coordinated with the colors of paint used for the handprints. In the past, I made a photo quilt where each photo was the "window" in a paper-pieced schoolhouse block.

Snowball blocks? You can make them any size you'd like & they are really adaptable to any style.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Blog Entries
    I have this pattern with tissue paper for four wall quilts plus extra practice blocks. i never used it. just let me know where to mail it if you want to try it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just finished this quilt for my friend's 70th birthday. I went to Picasa and collaged each group of pictures I wanted to showcase. Each collage was printed on my ink jet printer using 8.5" X 11.5" Printed Treasures fabric. When all were printed, I just sashed around them and then arranged them in a pleasing design. I added 3D pinwheel blocks in two corners, writing memories underneath the 3D part. I quilted around the individual photos in the collages. I realize blue and green is a somewhat unusual color combination, but they were our high school colors.

I've attached close-ups of a couple of the individual blocks so you can see what I mean. The size of the quilt just evolved as I worked with the pictures I wanted to use. It turned out 64" X 66.5".

Smoky Lake, Alberta, Canada - Coolidge, AZ
    I used the Double Irish Chain pattern for the memory quilt I made for my DIL. It's a super easy pattern.

Name:  IMG_3749sm.jpg
Views: 7382
Size:  191.8 KB

Name:  IMG_3752sm.jpg
Views: 5285
Size:  148.2 KB

Name:  IMG_3747sm.jpg
Views: 5224
Size:  161.4 KB
    Last edited by Gail B; 07-07-2012 at 05:06 AM. Reason: Add photos

You can do a search on the internet for free patterns. Here is one website I found:http://www.freequiltpatterns.info/Qu...ltPatterns.htm and there were others listed for the query.

Quote Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
    I just finished this quilt for my friend's 70th birthday. I went to Picasa and collaged each group of pictures I wanted to showcase. Each collage was printed on my ink jet printer using 8.5" X 11.5" Printed Treasures fabric. When all were printed, I just sashed around them and then arranged them in a pleasing design. I added 3D pinwheel blocks in two corners, writing memories underneath the 3D part. I quilted around the individual photos in the collages. I realize blue and green is a somewhat unusual color combination, but they were our high school colors.

I've attached close-ups of a couple of the individual blocks so you can see what I mean. The size of the quilt just evolved as I worked with the pictures I wanted to use. It turned out 64" X 66.5".
    Gramajo, love this quilt! The picture collages are a great idea--you can use so many more pictures this way! Might have to try this.
    Redrover0628

thanks for all the suggestions and especially the pictures! that helps more than anything trying to decide a layout and style
    Frances
    Redrover0628

It was a lot of fun making this quilt--brought back a lot of memories. We've been friends for 56 years. Her daughter emailed me a lot of pictures: I had more from my photo albums. I kinda themed each collage--her parents, brothers, her young; his family pictures from a child; her wedding pictures; pictures of her son and daughter individually and together and with my kids; party pictures from our misspent youth.

Go for it, Red Rover, you'll have a great time doing it.

Blog Entries
    Answered you over in the ISO area, posted some pics and link to a book.
    Regards,
    Kif
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest~Mark Twain

The Sunny Side of Florida - Sarasota County
    Blog Entries
    These quilts are all wonderful! It's fun to set photos on fabric and then quilt them. I usually try to set them in eras....
    Childhood photos, HS, Wedding, etc.
    YOUNG AT HEART - Slightly older in other places...

Oh My! All of these are great memory quilts!!

Gramajo...this is the post I saw Thanks! Kim
    Happy Stitching! Kim

Here is my Memory quilt I did not long ago. I didn't have a pattern...the math and design was a challenge but fun too. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...n-t203744.html

Blog Entries
    Here is mine! I think.
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

This is genius!! I have a quilt I am just starting and the lady wants 88 pictures in it! Outside of a lot of ink I wasn't sure I could make it visually work, but this totally saved me! Thanks so much for sharing this!

Here is one I did for my hubby's 60th BD. starting with his early pics , university, meeting me, our kids, daughter's wedding, and a few professional shots (he is a musical conductor/composer). Sorry I cut off the bottom of the photo-it is balanced with a full photo and a bit of red and black border so it is finished.

Because this was going on the wall I wanted the photos on point like a scattering of photos for visual interest. (This is sooo easy to do--just make a huge border around the block then slap your square up ruler on it and twist it a bit.) I also took some creme fabric and printed out favorite sayings from his life and appliqued them on. And a little red for interest. Had all the guests to his party sign the back.
    Suzie
    Author; I Don't Know Where I Want to Be -But it Isn't Here!

Memory Quilt

Quote Originally Posted by #1piecemaker View Post
    Here is mine! I think.
    what is the name of this pattern? I love it!

Where can I buy this book? I am new to quilting. I need to make one for a Lady who was a member of our Volunteer Fire Department, she lost everything when her house burned. She retired just last year she is 82 years old and was given a memory quilt by the fire dept which was destroyed in the fire, she lost everything. I am giving her a house warming soon when she moves into her new home, and wish to make her the memory quilt again. Can you help me?
    Thanks much
    Judy

My DD used Andrea T. Funk's "How to Make a Too-Cool T=Shirt Quilt" to make mine. She got it from Amazon. An earlier poster said it was available from the author's website also.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast