Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Love of Quilting Magazine forever >

Love of Quilting Magazine forever

Love of Quilting Magazine forever

Old 11-01-2016, 01:26 PM

I had to laugh at your post. My mom did something similar. I think after many years her subscription has finally run out. I know I got a renewal notice for my magazine the month after I got the first one. Your car warranty is the same. Before we made our first car payment on our new car the notices that our warranty was about to expire started arriving.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:54 PM

My aunt passed away in 2014. One of her magazines is still coming & doesn't expire until 2024!!! I keep track of mine so I don't do that.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:08 PM

This is one of my pet peeves. Constantly getting renewal notices and you better keep record of when your subscription runs out or they will take advantage of you. Jeanne, you are not alone. What happened to you is exactly what they are hoping for. You should definitely ask for a refund. If you canceled your subscription, they would be obligated to send you a refund for any remaining issues. If they give you a hard time, threaten to cancel. You can always start up another subscription and this time keep track of it.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:24 AM

I fell for that once and ended up with six years of a magazine. Now when I get the "time to renew" notices I check my label and know that they may think it is time, but with two more years on the subscription I don't think so. As for the magazine going under I would think that the kingdom that Fons and Porter have built it would be a minor concern. That is one of the quilting magazines that I don't much care for so I let my subscription run out, always seemed like there was a new "tool" or ruler or something that had the Fons and Porter label on it that I just had to have, according to them. Greed doesn't do it for me and that is the way it seems their empire is going. Okay I'm off my soap box now.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:56 AM

I keep a log of all subscriptions and donations that I make in a folder. I have a column for title, date of payment, cost, and length of subscription. I always check it before I write a check! What I have to look out for now is that they try to get you to sign up for automatic renewal. Sometimes they tell me that I signed up for automatic renewal when I did not. Very annoying.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:12 PM

I keep a file with my magazine subscriptions in it. It IS confusing when they keep sending those renewals, but if I am uncertain, I go to my file and in it, by magazine, will be my most recent payment check number and amount, the date and a copy of the subscription notice that I sent in, as I have had to contact the various magazine's Subscription centers from time to time.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:24 PM

You are out of luck, I never renew more than 2 years out.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:45 PM
Power Poster

I've learned over the years to go to their website when I get a notice and check my expiration date.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:09 PM

In a way, the original post was funny, in a way, it's not. I think that should be considered fraud when a publisher does this, especially when the subscription is paid YEARS AND YEARS ahead!!

A quick tutorial for you...
Your label should have about 6-7 lines on it.

The first line is kind of like a "batch#" or "lot#"

The second line should be your account number, and usually this line, at the very end will have something like: M/J18
The "M/J18" means "May/June 2018" issue is the last one. Many magazines, especially the quilting magazines, are bi-monthly (every other month). So, you will see J/F (January/February), M/A, M/J, J/A, S/O, N/D.

The third line usually identifies this current magazine.

The next 3-4 lines are your name and address.

And on the very bottom are some funky-looking bars, sort of like this: ||ii||ll||ii||
Those are a bar code that is specifically for bulk mailing/shipping.

And of course, you can always go to the publisher's website to see if you are close to the cancellation date.
I have found that if you let it run out, they will send you a "Please come back" letter with a terrific deal...and you usually end up not missing a single issue.