Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
LQS styles/themes, etc.  Have you noticed it?  Which do you favor? >

LQS styles/themes, etc. Have you noticed it? Which do you favor?

LQS styles/themes, etc. Have you noticed it? Which do you favor?

Old 05-21-2013, 02:00 PM

Default LQS styles/themes, etc. Have you noticed it? Which do you favor?

My DH and I like to travel and over the years I've visited many LQS and have noticed something. Every shop seems to have a theme/style. My question is, which style/them do you frequent? Does YOUR stash reflect that choice?

One shop will specialize in primitive types of fabrics and homespuns. They often have those civil war fabrics and wool for penny rugs, etc.
Another shop might have a Victorian feel with lots of flowery fabrics with pastel colors and lacey patterns. I often see ribbons and ruffled yardage at these shops.
One shop I visit a lot has an oriental feel. It has the most gorgeous fabrics as well as the sashiko books and classes.
Now, I'm seeing a lot of more modern shops with a 60's feel to the fabrics. They display bright, colorful quilts and have lots of fabric that would fit well in today's families setting up housekeeping.
And, I can't forget the outdoors shops with moose and bear fabrics with those cute cabin flair quilts that would fit so well at your 'little place in the woods'.

I really like the primitives and the orientals. And my stash does have those themes front and center. So, have you all noticed how different LQS are? Have I missed some themes? And, what do you lean toward?
Old 05-21-2013, 03:19 PM

I love 30's repos and anything in bright colors. My least fav is muted colors and the civil war ones.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:26 PM

I love the earthy tones (outdoor themes and colors). I also like brights.

Yes- I go to the shops that have these fabrics. I only attend the other shops during hops.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:40 PM

One of my LQS's has a huge selection of batiks and oriental prints, the other shop has loads of tone on tones, solids and modern prints, and a 3rd shop has tons of what I would call "shabby chic" type prints. Depending on what I need for what I want to make will determine which shop I go to. I love having the difference in selections, makes me not feel guilty for frequenting all the shops.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:06 PM

I love it all - I get so inspired going into a shop that will challenge me because it is totally different from what I am used to. I also like shops that hang a lot of quilts and then indicate what book or pattern it is from. I go to shops just to feel the fabric and hopefully see someone who is picking out fabric for a quilt. I learn so much by seeing what they pick!
Old 05-21-2013, 05:05 PM

I especially love batiks, brights, orientals and modern fabrics but sometimes get tempted by other styles of fabric. I notice that I can usually decide how much time and money I will be spending within a few minutes after I walk in the door by the overall personality/theme of a shop.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:31 PM

My LQS specializes in nautical prints since they are only a few miles from the beach. I love it.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:52 PM

I love high quality fabrics set up in collections. Love a more modern type of fabrics and batiks. I dislike homespun, wool, and oriental fabrics. I love the look of precuts and a place with lots of samples. My all time favorite shop is in south Maine. I won't vacation there until late August but will definitely visit the shop then.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:08 PM

I have 2 LQSs I frequent. Both have a varied selection. One is very large 10,000 bolts. You name it they pretty much have it. I shop there, but try to have some idea of what I'm going for or it is overwhelming. The other is smaller, but I always find something I love, the people are awesome and it is where I take local classes. They have a wonderful variety: batiks, prints, orientals, civil war, solids, children's, novelties, wools, flannels a wonderful mix. It is Country Quilts and Bears (Fran teaches bear construction- even from mink coats! Wonderful and unique) Clearwater, FL great classes with awesome teachers. The owners are Marilyn & John- great people! Stop in when you're over this way!
Old 05-22-2013, 03:44 AM
Power Poster

just like all the differences in us as individuals---quilt shops are owned by individuals why tend to fill their shops with what they are drawn to- often the owners and their close friends/return local customers - location/local beliefs=tendencies tend to dictate what the shop will be filled with I'm pretty (Eclectic) ; I seem to have a stash filled with a vast assortment of fabrics- wools, homespuns, reproductions from the 1800's and the '30's, Orientals, batiks, florals, novelties, solids, blenders, stripes & polka dots...the list goes on & on- I love finding a shop with something I have not tried/used before- to see something new is exciting and inspirational. it would be a pretty boring *quilting world* if all the shops carried the same thing & we all made the same quilt.