Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: IS it the machine or the user?

Blog Entries

IS it the machine or the user?

I feel decidedly stupid at the moment. This week I realized that I don't know how to sew backwards with my machine. Can you believe it? I've had the Baby Lock Espire for quite a few years and most of the time, I set the tie-off button which is activated by touching the reverse button. This week I tried to do some backwards tie-off and it didn't work. I even got the manual out (and you all know how bad things must be for that to happen) but I can't figure out how to sew backwards with my machine. Have I really never had to sew backwards in all those years?

If anyone has any suggestions.......
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

I have had a BL Espire for a little over a month and I don't believe it really does a backward stitch like most machines--but--use the multidirectional sewing function, and you can go backwards all day long. (Or side ways or diagonally...)

You push the button that looks like a U with an arrow at the tip. It will reverse sew while being held down. I had the babylock espire before I traded it in for my dreamy and it does sew backwards.
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D

Nancy

Just keep sewing!

I know how to sew backwards with my machine. Now if I could only get it to unsew.

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    I know how to sew backwards with my machine. Now if I could only get it to unsew.
    I need that function too!
    Please become an organ donor
    It really does save lives, my husband is living proof.

I have a baby lock espire. If you look at the quilting symbols for the stitch you want, if it has a "." it will do the locking stitch(sewing in place) if it has two vertical lines before the stitching lines, it will sew backwards when you press the little curved arrow button - the same one you use for the locking function.

So, look for the two stitches together at the top for reverse - a dot for locking stitch.

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
    touching the reverse button.
    Hold the reverse button down for however many stitches you want to take, then release to go forward.

Quote Originally Posted by mckwilter View Post
    Hold the reverse button down for however many stitches you want to take, then release to go forward.
    Reverse button acts differently according to which stitch you have chosen. If you have chosen the one that has a "." at the top it will only sew in place when you hold down the reverse button. If it has two vertical lines at top it will allow you to sew in reverse when you hold down the reverse button.

Blog Entries
    I knew I came to the right place. Thank you so much. Just holding the reverse button does not work - apparently I must go in search of stitches that have a "." at the top. YEAH - a treasure hunt. You ladies are the best!
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast