Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making blocks match >

Making blocks match

Making blocks match

Old 02-19-2017, 06:29 PM

Question Making blocks match

Can anyone offer a solution to this problem: I cut up a panel of sweet little blocks. I made 9 butterfly blocks. The panel blocks will come out at 101/8 inches and the butterfly blocks are 10 1/2 inches. Is there a way I can make them match in size so I can use them together? If I cut the butterfly blocks smaller I lose the points on their wings. And I can't cut the panel blocks any larger. Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated. I've worked very hard on this quilt and it will be really pretty when done I think. For my little 3yo great niece. Thanks in advance for any advice. Love this board! Always great help and inspiration!
Old 02-19-2017, 06:43 PM

Can you post pictures of the two blocks?
Old 02-19-2017, 06:48 PM

what about a narrow sashing to frame the panel blocks?
Old 02-19-2017, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
what about a narrow sashing to frame the panel blocks?
That would be my suggestion but we're only talking about 3/8-inch difference. Why not sash all the blocks and square to a larger size, maybe 11 or 12 inches.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:08 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
That would be my suggestion but we're only talking about 3/8-inch difference. Why not sash all the blocks and square to a larger size, maybe 11 or 12 inches.
That's what I was thinking too.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:31 PM

Sashing is the answer. Such a small difference will disappear in the over all top. Show us a pic. Sounds beautiful!
Old 02-20-2017, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
Sashing is the answer. Such a small difference will disappear in the over all top. Show us a pic. Sounds beautiful!
the pattern has sashing and I understand how to do it matching the lengths but can't figure how to match it because the blocks would still be different heights. Am I making sense? I guess I can sew sashings on all 4 sides and square to a larger size but I don't believe I have enough white fabric to match what I've already used. Thank you all for your help. I don't know how to post pictures. Sorry! I appreciate your interest though. I've made many quilts since being on this board but cannot figure how to post any pictures. It should be simpler than it sounds! Thanks again!
Old 02-20-2017, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Helen6869 View Post
the pattern has sashing and I understand how to do it matching the lengths but can't figure how to match it because the blocks would still be different heights. Am I making sense? I guess I can sew sashings on all 4 sides and square to a larger size but I don't believe I have enough white fabric to match what I've already used. Thank you all for your help. I don't know how to post pictures. Sorry! I appreciate your interest though. I've made many quilts since being on this board but cannot figure how to post any pictures. It should be simpler than it sounds! Thanks again!
Let me add this: I think 3/8 inch is a pretty good bit when the blocks are off that much from each other and there is cross piece sashing. I guess I will lose my butterfly wings points and just go from there. Not a happy camper with this one! I thought I had such a good plan. The pattern I used is a free Riley Blake one and it didn't give the finished block size and I figured wrong somehow when I added the measurements and thought it would match the panel blocks. Oh well! Thank you so much!
Old 02-20-2017, 08:38 AM

The reason I asked for a picture was to see if the "panels" had a print. Since it is only about 1/2 inch off I hate adding that small of a outer piece, but if you could add it in the center (or off center ) a vertical and a horizontal strip and it look okay, you wouldn't have to deal w/ the narrow edge. The other thing I thought of was only adding the extra "sashing" to one vertical and one horizontal edge (like a window pane) or the "shadow" type sashing.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
The reason I asked for a picture was to see if the "panels" had a print. Since it is only about 1/2 inch off I hate adding that small of a outer piece, but if you could add it in the center (or off center ) a vertical and a horizontal strip and it look okay, you wouldn't have to deal w/ the narrow edge. The other thing I thought of was only adding the extra "sashing" to one vertical and one horizontal edge (like a window pane) or the "shadow" type sashing.
I hadn't thought of the window type sashing. That may work. I am just low on that white fabric since I didn't purchase the required amount of it. Can't really tell how much I might need to do more sashing. No, cannot piece it with inserting a small sashing. It would lose it's continuity. Thank you so much for your great ideas. Keeps me thinking on what I can do! have a good day!

Last edited by Helen6869; 02-20-2017 at 08:53 AM. Reason: change word