Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making blocks match >

Making blocks match

Making blocks match

Old 02-20-2017, 08:58 AM

I know I haven't made this part clear. The blocks will be set side by side alternating a butterfly and then a panel block with sashingon the sides and one long sashing strip between the rows. So if I do that, they will be different sizes and the horizontal and vertical sashings will be off and not be able to be matched. It is supposed to make like a crossword puzzle design. Have I muddied the waters even more?? lol! Thank you all for trying to help. I will post what I do so maybe yall will know later on and not make the same mistake I did! I read the directions on how to post a picture and since I am pretty technologically challenged I didn't understand it at all. Hummmm, is it just me?
Old 02-20-2017, 09:02 AM

There is a picture on the board today with the title Border fabric, opinions requested. That is the exact sashing I am trying to use with these blocks. But I think they must be the same size to work this way. Love that baby quilt!

Last edited by Helen6869; 02-20-2017 at 09:03 AM. Reason: changed word
Old 02-20-2017, 01:51 PM
Power Poster

I would add to all of them. some less, some more. then they will fit and look fine.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:17 PM
Power Poster

There is no reason you can't "frame" your blocks with another color and still use your white sashing fabric. Just think of it as another element of the block and don't think of it as "sashing". I would do what the others stated and frame your blocks with another color and then cut them down to all be the same size. This solves two problems, problem 1 of getting your blocks and panel pieces all the same size and problem 2 of not having enough white. Surely there is another color you can bring into play with the theme of butterflies!
Old 02-20-2017, 03:40 PM

I will try to make this clearer than mud. What I would do is put 2 sides of sashing on each block. On the smaller block, put 2" strips on the left and bottom. On the larger block, put 1.5" strips on the left and bottom. This should bring them up to the same size (11.5" unfinished). You would have to add a 1.5" strip to the right of the end block on each row. Also add 1.5" strips to the top of the blocks on the top row, before joining. This will give you a 1" finished sashing all around all blocks. Does this sound plausible to you more experienced quilters out there? Hope so.

Last edited by krafty14; 02-20-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by krafty14 View Post
I will try to make this clearer than mud. What I would do is put 2 sides of sashing on each block. On the smaller block, put 2" strips on the left and bottom. On the larger block, put 1.5" strips on the left and bottom. This should bring them up to the same size (11.5" unfinished). You would have to add a 1.5" strip to the right of the end block on each row. Also add 1.5" strips to the top of the blocks on the top row, before joining. This will give you a 1" finished sashing all around all blocks. Does this sound plausible to you more experienced quilters out there? Hope so.
Do you think this would really work? I can do that if it will make them line up. I think I will get out some graph paper and prove you correct!! Thank you for figuring that out and explaining it to me. Not totally convinced yet but I will let you know what I can draw out. This would be doable for me as far as fabric and sewing I think. Thank you Krafty14! I knew someone on this board could figure this one out. I am not that great at math, as you can tell! haha! Thanks everyone.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
There is no reason you can't "frame" your blocks with another color and still use your white sashing fabric. Just think of it as another element of the block and don't think of it as "sashing". I would do what the others stated and frame your blocks with another color and then cut them down to all be the same size. This solves two problems, problem 1 of getting your blocks and panel pieces all the same size and problem 2 of not having enough white. Surely there is another color you can bring into play with the theme of butterflies!
There are so many colors and patterns in the quilt already I hesitate to add anything else. But I think this would look ok. I think I will play with krafty14's idea of changing the sashing sizes and see if that looks doable for me. Thank you so much for your interest too!
Old 02-21-2017, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by krafty14 View Post
Good morning everyone. I am still trying to figure this one out. If I do add the 1.5" strip how will that make up for the 1/8th "? I really want this to work. Anyone else have new ideas this am? Thanks to all who have even tried to help me!! yall are so sweet!
Old 02-21-2017, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Helen6869 View Post
Good morning everyone. I am still trying to figure this one out. If I do add the 1.5" strip how will that make up for the 1/8th "? I really want this to work. Anyone else have new ideas this am? Thanks to all who have even tried to help me!! yall are so sweet!
Me again! Maybe I need to cut the smaller blocks down by 1/8th! brainstorming here!
Old 02-21-2017, 10:50 AM

You have 2 blocks one is 10 1/8 square and one is 10 4/8 (10 1/2) square. So you have 3/8ths difference. So you need sashing strips that are two different sizes one is 3/8ths narrower then the other. You add the bigger sashing strip to the two sides of the smaller square, and the smaller sashing strips to the bigger square. Now your over all squares are the same size.

10 1/8 + 1 3/8 = 11 4/8 and 10 4/8 + 1 = 11 4/8.

Since you are only sashing the two sides (right and bottom for instance) those sashings never meet so to the eye w/ just that little difference it won't be obvious.