Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making a finished quilt bigger...can this be done? >

Making a finished quilt bigger...can this be done?

Making a finished quilt bigger...can this be done?

Old 10-17-2013, 05:41 AM

Default Making a finished quilt bigger...can this be done?

My daughter bought a twin bed for her daughter. The quilt she had on her toddler bed is too small for the twin and she asked me if I could make the toddler bed quilt into a twin size quilt. It has scalloped edges as well.

Is this possible? How would you do it?
Old 10-17-2013, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

Wow, I'm going to wait and see the other responses for I am not qualified. My own little thinking would be to remove the binding add more border then replace with another binding. Sounds simple but so is my mind. Sorry!
Old 10-17-2013, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

can the scallops 'float', would kind of be like prairie points? I think I would make a new quilt out of a single coordinating fabric and just lay the scalloped one on top.
Either that or loose the scallop border.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:03 AM

Ooooooh! A challenge! What would I do? Hmmmmmmm. Okay, I would leave the scallop edge and attach a wide border, just to the inside of where the scallop starts. The scallop would become a 3-D feature, on top of the new section. The new border would have batting, like a regular piece of the quilt BUT I would attach it to the underside of the old quilt, with an non-batted layer of fabric (QAYG style). This would become a new inner border on the old section. I would secure it, by adding two rows of quilting to the new joining - one along the base of the scallops and one along the edge of the single layer, an inch or so in from the first line.

I hope that makes sense. It's easy to see it, in my head. . . but not so easy, to explain it.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:07 AM
Banned

I think it would be easier to just make another quilt for the twin bed. The crib size quilt can still be used as a "throw." I've lost count of all the quilts I've made for my grandtwins.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:07 AM

Make a new quilt - much easier and more fun.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:08 AM

Sure you can do that!
I'm thinking along the same lines as Nessie.
Just pick fabric that works well with the original quilt and add it like a big border. I wouldn't un-do any of the original quilt. Attach the extra fabric just inside the scalloped edge. **Think of it like a dust ruffel. Let us see what you end up doing.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
can the scallops 'float', would kind of be like prairie points? I think I would make a new quilt out of a single coordinating fabric and just lay the scalloped one on top.
Either that or loose the scallop border.
I was thinking basically the same thing. That "underlay" could just be a plain top (perhaps a sheet or something like that) with three sides for covering the bed beyond the original quilt. OR -- make extensions on three sides and attach the original quilt on top, following the scallops. Personally, if I really wanted to use it I would go the underlay way. Good luck.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

I am one who would make a new quilt and let the old one be used to cuddle with on the floor or couch or in the car or wherever. Kids need more than one quilt anyway.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

if the child cannot sleep without her old quilt, then i'd go with Neesie's suggestion. however, i'd just make a new quilt.