Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Martelli Roundabout >

Martelli Roundabout

Martelli Roundabout

Old 04-19-2014, 11:24 PM

He he he. I thought this was a new quilt pattern.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:09 AM

I have one and I absolutely love it! It is the greatest tool! A few years ago my DGS was here and cut slits in the ironing board cover, so I ripped the elastic out and used it for a pattern and made a new ironing board cover out of pre-quilted fabric that I had on hand. I keep it by my sewing machine and use it all the time. But, don't leave your iron sitting on it without one of those iron props or holders for great lengths of time (I forgot once overnight and the cutting board warped a bit on the edge). Now, I make sure my iron sits in its holder. I need to try the trick of putting it in water, then outdoors with weights on it to see if that takes the warp out. The warp isn't bad, just noticeable. I should try soaking the mat in water then sitting it outdoors with weights on it to see if that takes the warp out. Again, I love that tool and could not do without it. Also, I buy all my blades from Martelli when they have their sales. I also own the largest mat and purchased it during a half price sale.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:55 AM

I hope you get the table you ordered. I bought one from the Pensacola Fl quilt show a few years ago. When it arrived it wasn't the one that I had agreed on when I bought it. I know..my fault I should have sent it back right then but I didn't. I kept it. I wish I would have though and bought the Bernina QE I had looked at. Oh well..water under the bridge. Now I have the Bernina 830 but truth be told..I'd rather have the 440. So much easier to operate.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:12 AM

I have the large Olfa and love it. I have it sitting on the top of a small table right by my sewing machine. When I am cutting the pieces for a project it is perfect to have it right next to me. Now if I could figure out how to press my seams without getting up to go to the ironing board... Egads am I lazy or what? No, really it is a great situation for preparing the many pieces for a project and know that my cuts are precise. Haven't seen the Martelli, but will now take a look. Speaking of Martelli, I bought one of the 45 mm rotary cutters at a quilt show 3 years ago and decided I didn't like it. So with my present project I decided to give it another try and I love it! Has anyone else used their rotary cutters? I'd be interested in knowing if the ergonomic feature helps when cutting many pieces. So far I am still getting used to the shape.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:25 AM

For those who have the olfa style and it doesn't turn, head for the garage and give it a spray of silicone, it will work like a champ...
Old 04-20-2014, 10:54 AM

I have the 12" and 17" Olfa. Love to take the 12" to classes. I won the 6" Fiskars in a drawing and been using it, definitely not as good as the Olfa.

The Roundabout sounds interesting. I just watched both videos on their website and noticed a discrepancy: the first video has a larger mat than what is apparently available now. The one in the first video can size a 12" block while the current and 2nd video show a 10" block. I think I would be more interested if the larger mat were available, until then I think I will stick to my Olfas and the Fiskar.

I have bought the zip binding system from Martelli and ended up not thrilled. It looked great at the show and then I had difficulty using them at home and got rid of it. I also tried the cutters at the show and they didn't work for me. I prefer my Olfa ergonomic cutters. That said, I do see some other toys I might like. For instance, the lightbox and the kwikspin thread dispensers.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:55 AM

I do have this, and use it almost daily.....I love having the ironing pad right there too...I have their rotary cutters ( booth right and left handed as I cut with both hands) and use only their blades or the Altos blades when I can find them......I have their work table (purchased last year when they had it on Redline Sale for 50% off and it arrives safe and sound and was put together within an hour), as well as their extra large mat, and the large mat........The rotary cutters did take a little getting used to...........but I prefer their round about over the Olfa rotating mat....even when sprayed with silicone - it does not turn as easily as the Martelli rotating mat..
Old 04-20-2014, 05:43 PM

I have the round about and love it. Bought it on a sale at Connecting Threads not long ago. It is so much easier to use than the Olfa ones.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Normabeth View Post
I know Martelli is having a sale today and tomorrow - I was looking at the roundabout -half price would be $60.
Does anyone own this? Is it as useful as they claim it is?
Thanks
Normabeth
wow,wish I had seen this sooner at half price I would have nabbed it