Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What cutter do you use with your Martelli Roundabout? >

What cutter do you use with your Martelli Roundabout?

What cutter do you use with your Martelli Roundabout?

Old 08-18-2016, 05:54 PM

Default What cutter do you use with your Martelli Roundabout?

Does using other cutters ruin them?
Old 08-18-2016, 09:07 PM

I don't see why they would they are made of the same material. I use my olfas on my martelli mat no problems so it should be the same for the roundabout
Old 08-19-2016, 04:51 AM

I know they stress at shows to use their cutters on their mats. Whether it's a marketing ploy or a true statement. If you use another cutter, I don't think they will stand by their mat durability.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:53 AM
Power Poster

I don't have Martelli product but I better be able to use what I have with every product.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:04 AM
Power Poster

i can see if mats don't hold up to box cutters but any mat should hold up to any rotary cutter possibly with the exception of a rotary carpet cutter. I spoke with a carpet installation contractor the other day and asked him about the ones from Harbor Freight. He stated the ones from any home improvement for heavy installation should be used strictly for that, otherwise don't expect the fabric mats to last long.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:29 AM

The roundabout isn't a self healing mat, so I don't think it matters which cutter you use.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by silliness View Post
The roundabout isn't a self healing mat, so I don't think it matters which cutter you use.
How do Martelli Roundabouts hold up over time if they are not self-healing? Would anyone be able to comment on their durability?
Old 11-14-2018, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

I have one of the Roundabouts. I use whatever cutter I have in my hand at the time. I usually use Quilter's Select cutter but have other brands. I don't have the Martelli cutter though. I haven't noticed any damage to the mat and it's a few years old and still looks good. I had DH cut a Quilter's Select mat to fit the Roundabout so I have it on top of the Martelli mat now. I like the QS mat better but that's my personal choice.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I have one of the Roundabouts. I use whatever cutter I have in my hand at the time. I usually use Quilter's Select cutter but have other brands. I don't have the Martelli cutter though. I haven't noticed any damage to the mat and it's a few years old and still looks good. I had DH cut a Quilter's Select mat to fit the Roundabout so I have it on top of the Martelli mat now. I like the QS mat better but that's my personal choice.
Thanks so much for your input. Sounds like the mat holds up well. I would love to hear why you prefer the Quilter's Select mat to the Martelli mat? I am trying to decide what large mat to buy too since my 10+ year Olfa mat has been stored standing up and is now quite warped beyond repair. (I have tried heat, etc. and it did help but it isn't sufficiently flattened.)
Old 11-14-2018, 11:17 AM
Banned

When a mat that I have got warped I laid it flat out in my shop loft and put a big piece of flat wood on top of it with boxes of stuff on top of that. Left it there for few months(actually forgot about it) and now it lays flat again.

Cari