Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
More on DH and the LA >

More on DH and the LA

More on DH and the LA

Old 04-25-2015, 01:12 PM

Default More on DH and the LA

Ok we went and looked at several machines. We liked the HQ Infinity 26" and the Janome DX 26". Anyone have one of these? And what are your likes and dislikes. We are thinking to add the robotics.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:55 PM
Power Poster

Honestly, for that much money I would be looking at an Innova with lightning stitch. If I had to choose between the two you mention, I would go with the HQ simply because they have been around a long time and have a good reputation in longarm machines. I don't think Janome has been in the longarm business very long.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:35 PM

I have the HQ Avante with the Pro Stitcher and love it! I find the tension thing is very easy. That was what I worried about most.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:36 PM

I have the Janome Artistic 18 and have not been impressed with their customer service. If I had it to do over, I would have saved up for the Handiquilter. I've heard wonderful things about their customer support.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:44 AM

They all make good machines - I was just looking at the HQs - I really liked them but an can not justify it right now (I have an old Voyager17) . I would tell you to talk to customers who have needed the have their machines serviced from either shop. If you like both machines equally (imho) purchase the one from the shop whose repair man will be there when you need it the most - when you are in the middle of a king sized quilt and something has gone wrong.

Good luck - you have a very nice DH!!
Old 04-26-2015, 04:10 AM

I took some classes this spring, and they had a HQ Fusion and the new Infinity set up. The classes were on long arm quilting, and not specifically about the machines. I own a Fusion (owned a Bailey before it) but have not used it all that much so far.

The Infinity was a lot noisier (and I do mean A LOT). and seemed pickier about things. And when it ran out of bobbin thread, the instructor had to hunt down a bottle of compressed air and casually said that you need compressed air to adequately clean the bobbin area.

The Infinity is enough different than the earlier HQ machine (Sweet 16, Avante, Fushion) that I would not take recommendations from users of those for the Infinity, as it is too different. There was nothing about the Infinity that made me wish I had it instead of the Fusion - but I also don't use the computer and maybe that is a big advantage. I don't think anyone in the class of 25 (all long arm owners) were really impressed with the Infinity over what they currently owned - however the noise really did turn a lot of people off.

This really is not a "review" - only suggesting that you should talk to Infinity owners about the specific machine as it's not just a longer Fusion (which is basically a longer Avante from what I saw when I was looking at both).
Old 04-26-2015, 04:29 AM
anonymous

I think Janome's long arm machines may be made by tin lizzy, I know the artistic 18's are. I personally am not a big tin lizzy fan. The customer service (at least in the past) was terrible! I also found that the Janome dealers often don't know much about the long arms.
If you are in Texas, the home plant for Innova is located in Houston (ABM international). I love my innova and the customer service is amazing.
Good luck with your shopping, you are going to find the one right for you. I know I joined yahoo groups and did a lot of on-line searching to find out what machines people did or didn't like. This was my second time around, wish I would have educated myself more the first time. Also search longarm university and the APQS (also good machines) forum to see what people are selling. If you don't find a lot of certain brands its because people keep them and are happy campers!

Old 04-26-2015, 05:04 AM

As mentioned by someone else, the HQ has been around for awhile but the Janome is just getting into quilt machines. I have the Innova and can't be happier. The customer service is great, most problems if any can be fixed by you and a call to their customer service guy walking you thru it. It takes just about every type of thread you can imagine and the price is comparible to others out there. I have APQS in town here but I picked the Innova. Started small with a 9" Viking and moved up the ladder to the 26" Innova. Wanted to be sure I'd enjoy quilting before I plunked down the big bucks. I have a 3rd party robotic system on mine which can be used on most any of the quilt machines out there for about half the price of other robotics and you don't need the lightening stitch to run it. If you plan to go free motion, I'd recommend the lighting stitch. I tested out their regular stitch regulator and then the lightening stitch and added the lightening stitch.

Best thing to do is play with all the machines you can find with and without robotics. I asked around in my area to see if I could test out their machine systems. Quilters are so friendly to help out.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:29 AM
Power Poster

I do have an HQ, but not the Infinity. But I love mine! Great machine!
I'd suggest that you go test out whatever machines you are considering. Ask questions, and talk with folks that have purchased.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:30 AM

Stick with HQ. I have an Avante. Friends have other machines, including the Tin Lizzy. If the Janome is a Tin Lizzy....well, I'd say they changed the name to "hide" the fact. Tin Lizzy's are NOT good machines, IMHO. I love the Avante.....so much easier to use. I don't have the Robot.....I found it made the machine heavier and I didn't have the $$. HQ has EXCELLENT customer service........and to me, that's the most important thing one needs when buying these machines.