Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My new Martelli roundabout stinks >

My new Martelli roundabout stinks

My new Martelli roundabout stinks

Old 04-26-2014, 05:26 AM

My concern is with the people who work in that factory. Those fumes cannot be good for their health.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
My concern is with the people who work in that factory. Those fumes cannot be good for their health.
No kidding. Sounds like a good recipe for brain damage or lung issues. I brought the mat part in last night but it still smells. I kept thinking I smelled a skunk every time I went in my room but it's bearable. The turntable and ironing surface are the worse and are still out in the garage. I think the main culprit is the ironing surface. Our dog sleeps in the garage at night and I was worried about her chewing it up and then I remembered that she will probably not go near that smell.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:53 AM
Power Poster

That "stinks", literally and figuratively, but I'm pretty sure airing it and/or putting it in a plastic bag with baking soda would work. On a separate note, I think they should have given you the 45 mm cutter at no cost, just my opinion, but half is better than nothing.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:06 AM

seems like a lot of things smell bad when first they are opened. Mine smelled too but it is fine after 24 hours.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:40 PM

Just let it sit outside or in the garage for awhile and I'm sure the substance will off-gas. I LOVE mine and I think Martelli is a really good company for quality products and service.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:35 PM

I love mine and the smell didn't take long to go away. It is the adhesive they use. I had the same problem when I got the green cutting mats to go on my cutting table. Took much longer for that smell to go away.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:00 AM

thought I might know what the roundabout was but had to do a search, saw the youtube video and thought, how cool, went to look for the price and saw one on ebay then at the martelli website ... WOW that sucker is expensive! over $100... I would consider it if it were half the price, maybe ...
Old 04-27-2014, 11:50 AM

it is called off-gassing or out-gassing, there are pages and pages of information about it online.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by oneteappot View Post
On mine it took a short time to disappear. A friend of mine put hers in a plastic bag with a box of baking soda and sealed it for a week. She swears that it worked.
We both love the roundabout.
Laurel
I had the same experience with my Olfa mat. Used the plastic bag/baking soda and it worked. Plus I had it outdoors for the whole time, so maybe it was a combination of baking soda .time, fresh air & sun light, (but not direct) that did the trick. No problems since.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by wraez View Post
thought I might know what the roundabout was but had to do a search, saw the youtube video and thought, how cool, went to look for the price and saw one on ebay then at the martelli website ... WOW that sucker is expensive! over $100... I would consider it if it were half the price, maybe ...
I agree - it's expensive. I got it for half off but even then it's expensive.