Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My new significant other >

My new significant other

My new significant other

Old 07-24-2013, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by AuntSuSuSews View Post
I've never tried using glue but want to, especially after reading this thread. Being fairly new to quilting, I have a question for y'all. Do you still have to have the backing piece pulled taut before applying the glue? I'm assuming yes. That's my biggest aggravation. I end up pinning the backing down on my carpeted seeing room. It's a pain, but I don't have any other place other than hardwood, but I can't risk getting basting spray on it. Is there an easy answer for at home basting?
I do not tape or clamp my backing taut when using the washable school glue. I arrange the three layers on my dining room table and start by folding back whatever fabric is on top (quilt or backing doesn't matter) about half way. Then I apply the washable school glue (WSG) sparingly to the batting, fold the fabric layer back on top of the gluey batting and smooth, smooth, smooth with my hands. Spin the sandwich around to get the other half. When one fabric side is finished, I flip the sandwich over and repeat the process. Just remember to smooth the fabric with your hands. Iron with a hot, dry iron if you're impatient--otherwise just wait an hour or so for it to dry before folding up or quilting.

FYI: it doesn't have to be the Elmer's brand; any brand of WASHABLE school glue works just like the Elmer's. I like the WSG from WalMart @ 34cents a bottle.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:25 PM

Isnt it woderful? I tried watering it down it some suggested. didnot work well with walmart brand batting! Did ok with other batting tho!! Havent really ironed it though. Usually lay it on floor overnight to dry. Love love it! Have bottles and glue sticks stuffed all over!!!
Old 07-25-2013, 03:35 AM

I tried a drug store brand of glue and it left a "shadow" where the glue had been, even after a couple of washings. It was my first time using glue for basting and I'm glad I was just doing a baby quilt.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:31 AM

The purple daisies web site is: purpledaisiesllc.com