Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: need help with how to figure piece sizes in table runner

First, I apologize for not knowing where I got the photo--it was either here or somewhere on the 'net. I liked the pattern and would like to make something similar. I am a fairly new quilter but thought I could figure this out. I decided the small squares within the larger square would be 4 1/2" (so the finished center block would be 12" finished) and I don't have any problem figuring out most of the pieces.

The pieces that are puzzling me are the rectangles with the 45 degree angle/triangle on the end. Of course, I have already cut the fabric and the sizes are wrong! :oops: I thought starting with a 4 1/2 x 2 1/2" rectangle and sewing a 2 1/2" square diagonally at the top would do the trick but I certainly thought wrong!

I would greatly appreciate any help with my dilemma. (This table runner is a fabric exchange and quilt challenge with my local quilt guild. Maybe I should have chosen something simpler!)

Thanks so much.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    You could make those a 1/2 sq triangle piece and attach them to the square :wink:

Amma, that would be a simple solution. It didn't occur to me. I know you have to add some fraction of an inch to the squares when cutting them into HSTs--is it 7/8"? So I would still have to cut more fabric.

Blog Entries
    I believe that is correct :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    I think if you want a finished hst to be 2 1/2" you would cut your squares 2 7/8".

Blog Entries
    Your calulations sound like they should have worked. I am a hands on person and without seeing it I am not sure why they didn't.

Okay, after thinking about this some more, I realized that the 45 degree angle of the two pieces joined to make the rectangle is the same kind of seam I get when I join pieces of binding diagonally to make longer lengths. After playing with some scraps, I think if I cut the pieces (that I had cut as 2 1/2" squares) as rectangles, about 3 1/2 x 2 1/2, I can join them to make the pieces I need (I'll cut them to the correct length after sewing). At least, I think so!

Maybe I can still salvage the rectangles I have already cut, but will have to find other uses for the 2 1/2" squares--maybe use them on the back side of the runner.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcia_PA
    Okay, after thinking about this some more, I realized that the 45 degree angle of the two pieces joined to make the rectangle is the same kind of seam I get when I join pieces of binding diagonally to make longer lengths. After playing with some scraps, I think if I cut the pieces (that I had cut as 2 1/2" squares) as rectangles, about 3 1/2 x 2 1/2, I can join them to make the pieces I need (I'll cut them to the correct length after sewing). At least, I think so!

Maybe I can still salvage the rectangles I have already cut, but will have to find other uses for the 2 1/2" squares--maybe use them on the back side of the runner.
    Here is what I came up with using Quilt Pro based on a 12" center block. I would use 1 4.5 inch square for the center of that block so deduct four of the 2.5 inch squares from the rotary chart. Also, the setting triangles are not the way I would do them in real life but it will work this way. I would make them smaller and continue the 2" border all the way around, mitering the corners. Quilt Pro is a little fussy when it comes to cutting odd shapes. It can be done but I didn't feel like making it do it my way--LOL!

Tablerunner
    Name:  Attachment-77339.jpe
Views: 46
Size:  42.2 KB

Thanks so much, Beverly! That is neat! and helpful. Maybe I'll have to think about buying some quilt making software! :D

Quote Originally Posted by Marcia_PA
    Thanks so much, Beverly! That is neat! and helpful. Maybe I'll have to think about buying some quilt making software! :D
    You're welcome. I use it to figure yardage & compare colors before cutting any fabric, mostly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast