Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need (want) another machine >

need (want) another machine

need (want) another machine

Old 02-23-2014, 06:19 PM
Power Poster

I think the extra wide feed dogs on embroidery-enabled machines may make getting an accurate scant 1/4" seam more problematic. Aside from being so wide, the feed dogs are also designed to accommodate multi-directional feeding. One reason vintage featherweights do such a nice piecing seam is because the feed dogs are quite narrow; another reason is because the feed dogs are designed to feed fabric in only two directions (forward and back).

Several people have mentioned the Pfaff Passport 2.0 as being a wonderful lightweight machine. I believe some of the lighter-weight Janomes also have the features you are looking for. The advantage of the Pfaff is the IDT. If I can find them, I will link one or two recent threads about these types of machines.

Edit: Okay, here's one thread:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...s-t241649.html
and here's another:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...s-t238748.html

Last edited by Prism99; 02-23-2014 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:56 PM

I've never heard of not being able to piece and FMQ on the same machine, I do both on any of my machines, although my FMQ sure isn't the greatest, I've never had any problems doing either.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:26 PM

I respectfully disagree with her observations also. My machines can and do piece and quilt with ease. Lots of practice with samples for reference allows me to adjust the machines as needed to do whatever the project calls for.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:15 PM

Oh ladies I have a few machines and I definitely prefer to use a different machine different action. Embroidery machine in horn cabinet. Juki is on quilt frame bernina and viking bothe sit in a sewing table.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:41 AM

I have several Bernina's, 131, 140, 830 and formerly 200e. I found that using the straight stitch throat plate works best for 1/4 inch with the #37 pressure foot. I'm not a fan of the #57, but that's personal. If you can't sell your machine, think about donating it to a school or 4H group. You might be able to get a tax deduction. Personally, I'd try purchasing the throat plate first. I've done FMQ and stitching on all my machines.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:45 AM
Administrator

get a table with wheels for your 6600.
roll it back forth when it's time to move.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:08 AM

For piecing I use my Pfaff 4.0 because it has the IDT, don't do any FMQ. And since I do a lot of PP, I keep my Brother 1500 set up just for that. I have somewhat limited space, so have to get one or the other out of the closet depending on what I want to do.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:39 AM

I have 7 machines and use them all. However, I CAN piece and FMQ on my Pfaff 7570. Before I got a Juki, that is what I did. I use a straight stitch throat plate on the Pfaff for all my piecing.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

I think it all comes down to personal experiences which are posted. I can do the same tasks on both of my machines. My cousin has about 8-9 machines and to her it boils down to her mood and which machine she feels like using. She is also a long armer.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:50 AM

So first of all, I don't think this is an opinion held by Leah Day, since she's stated several times she uses her 8900 for both piecing and FMQ. This sounds like some random person in a quilt forum somewhere making the statement, not Leah herself.

I never knew there were Leah Day quilt forums ... where are they?