Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: New Flying Regulations

I just found out that we can no longer carry circular thread cutters on an airplane.
    This is reprinted from the TSA Regulations:

Transporting Knitting Needles & Needlepoint
    Traveling with Special Items
    Knitting needles are permitted in your carry-on baggage or checked baggage.

Items needed to pursue a Needlepoint project are permitted in your carry-on baggage or checked baggage with the exception of circular thread cutters or any cutter with a blade contained inside which cannot go through the checkpoint and must go in your checked baggage.

Just a heads up.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Wouldn't you have more luck hijacking a plane with a knitting needle than a circular thread cutter?

I just flew last year and was actually 'allowed' to take on scissors that were less than six inch in length - the blade alone - I was shocked!! I had accidently left them in my carry on and when they found them they said they barely passed the length test but passed them with no fuss - a bit worrisome - I think the smaller ones should be ok, but the larger ones - hm-m--m makes me wonder what else gets through. Thread cutter - put a bobbin of thread in a dental floss container with the thread sticking out - voila - a way to cut thread on the plane!!)

By circular thread cutter--do you mean the ones you can wear around your neck like a pendant?? Here is a link to the one I have.

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...PRODID=prd2780

Just curious.
    Rose Hall

I use a pair of infant nail clippers. Those things stay sharp forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose Hall
    By circular thread cutter--do you mean the ones you can wear around your neck like a pendant?? Here is a link to the one I have.

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...PRODID=prd2780

Just curious.
    Rose Hall
    Wow, thats actually pretty neat I have never seen one of those before. I can also pretty much guarantee no TSA inspector would catch that either.

I've never had a problem--buy I only fly once MAYBE every 5 years or so.
    Rose Hall

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    Wouldn't you have more luck hijacking a plane with a knitting needle than a circular thread cutter?
    :lol: :lol: :lol: That's hysterical. Who the heck is making these rules!!! I would love to hear the explanation for this one.

If you take the cutter apart, it's a round razor blade. You know how sharp your rotary cutter blades are? That's probably why.

DH & I RV when we travel, so thankfully don't have to keep up on the flying regs! And no business travel for either of us.

Reminds me of the joke about the lady who wasn't allowed to take her knitting on board. They were afraid she'd knit an afghan. :lol:

I think the nail clippers are a good suggestion. But I don't understand why they'd ban a small circular thread cutter and still allow razors. I had no problems when I flew with one in August.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast