Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: New idea to ensure 1/4" seam allowance

Thumbs up New idea to ensure 1/4" seam allowance

Everyone knows about layering pieces of masking tape on the bed of your sewing machine to create an "edge" for your fabric to ride as you sew. I use a different method which is much more accurate and leaves NO residue. Buy a package of 3M Command Removable Mount Strips (Small size is what I use) and use that to mark the exact measurement of your seam allowance. You may need to trim the right-hand edge and a corner to make it fit your needs but it's easy to cut, pulls off cleanly with NO residue and is just the right thickness for your fabric to ride along. These strips are usually in the hardware section of your big-box stores but at this time of year you'll also find them in with Christmas items as they are great for hanging decorations that you want to remove after the holidays.
    His eye is on the sparrow; and
    I know he watches me.

Suzie

Thanks for your suggestion. I'm certainly going to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by lilacquilt View Post
    Everyone knows about layering pieces of masking tape on the bed of your sewing machine to create an "edge" for your fabric to ride as you sew. I use a different method which is much more accurate and leaves NO residue. Buy a package of 3M Command Removable Mount Strips (Small size is what I use) and use that to mark the exact measurement of your seam allowance. You may need to trim the right-hand edge and a corner to make it fit your needs but it's easy to cut, pulls off cleanly with NO residue and is just the right thickness for your fabric to ride along. These strips are usually in the hardware section of your big-box stores but at this time of year you'll also find them in with Christmas items as they are great for hanging decorations that you want to remove after the holidays.

Long strips of blue painters tape works best for me. I've had trouble removing "command" strips at times and don't want to chance that stuff on my sewing machine.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Thanks for your tip! Since I need to go to Home Depot today anyway, I'm going to look for the command strips - I think it's just what I've been looking for.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Blog Entries
    For what you are using them for, I think the cost is to much. I use masking tape. One - one inch roll should last just about a lifetime and when I have to change it, a little bit of goo- gone on a cotton ball cleans any residue right up.
    Goo-Gone doesn't damage acrylic, plastic or stainless. Easy peasy!
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Blog Entries
    Bonnie Hunter blogged about this a few months ago. Lots of quilt board replies about it here: Great tip for 1/4 seam.
    Got fabric?

I don't find masking tape quite thick enough for me. I use Dr. Scholl's moleskin (the thin kind). I cut it in strips with my rotary cutter. I've not had any trouble getting the residue off with Goo Gone, and I've left it on some machines for months.
    Joe in New Albany, IN

Blog Entries
    Good tip, thanks. Sometimes you can't put a price on exact 1/4" seams. I've spent more on some tools that were totally useless. If it works, then it's money well spent. :-)
    Creative clutter is better than idle neatness.

wow thanks for the great tip

Blog Entries
    You can also purchase a roll of the double stick foam tape and cut it to length. It leaves no residue and works like a charm because of the thickness of the tape. I always carry a roll in my supply bag!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast