Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New idea to ensure 1/4" seam allowance

be sure to go to command.com and print there coupons before you go and buy them

Blog Entries
    You might also check with your sewing machine dealer for a 1/4 foot. I have a Bernina and they have a 1/4 foot with a slide on the outside so you will always have perfect 1/4" seams.
    Include lots of color in your life.

Didn't know what they were but just ordered some off Amazon.
    Thanks for the tip.
    Annie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
    For what you are using them for, I think the cost is to much. I use masking tape. One - one inch roll should last just about a lifetime and when I have to change it, a little bit of goo- gone on a cotton ball cleans any residue right up.
    Goo-Gone doesn't damage acrylic, plastic or stainless. Easy peasy!
    peace
    Yes, Goo-Gone does damage plastic! I ruined my 6x24 inch ruler by using it to remove some glo tape residue. It actually caused the ruler surface to disintegrate.

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    I've used a large rubber band in the past, on my little Brother that had a free arm. Worked great.
    Now that's a great idea!! Going to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by judykay View Post
    The command strips are so great for so many things. I have the hook kind on the side of each of my machines to hang my scissors on. Now I always have my favorite pair by my machine.
    THANK YOU! Great idea to keep track of my nippers!
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    Command Strips with hooks are a staple in my house. For some reason Walmart has different sizes on clearance every so often. I stock up and save a bundle.
    Got fabric?

Power Poster
    Thanks for the tip...great idea.....

That's genius! Thanks.

Blog Entries
    good tip thank you
    we can make our plans but the out come is in god,s hands nellie diaz

Blog Entries

Quarter inch foot

Quote Originally Posted by AlienQuilter View Post
    Thanks for the tip.

The 1/4" foot with seam guide that came with my Babylock is worse than useless. For some reason the feed dogs grip and twist the fabric when using it - don't understand why, but creates a very crooked seam.
    My 1/4" foot for my babylock broke off on the side of it

Leaders and enders have worked for me. But a wise quilter friend encouraged me to spend the money for a straight stitch plate for my 30 year old Bernina. I argued with her for about a year and then gave in. What a difference it makes. If you can get one for your machine I highly recommend it. I have never in all my years of sewing on different machines had a straight stitch plate. Now I won't own a machine without one.

Quote Originally Posted by simpsonfs View Post
    Leaders and enders have worked for me. But a wise quilter friend encouraged me to spend the money for a straight stitch plate for my 30 year old Bernina. I argued with her for about a year and then gave in. What a difference it makes. If you can get one for your machine I highly recommend it. I have never in all my years of sewing on different machines had a straight stitch plate. Now I won't own a machine without one.
    Different strokes for different folks. I have one for my Janome and I hate the darn thing with a passion.

I also use painter's tape. Doesn't leave any residue and it's cheap

On a machine that will do zig-zag stitches, the feed dogs are set wide apart to make room for the widest stitch. My Singer 301A has no zig-zag, and has feed dogs very close to the needle hole. I can do a 1/8 inch seam on the right side, and the foot is still over feed dogs. I've gone back to using that machine for piecing, and love it.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Quote Originally Posted by lilacquilt View Post
    Everyone knows about layering pieces of masking tape on the bed of your sewing machine to create an "edge" for your fabric to ride as you sew. I use a different method which is much more accurate and leaves NO residue. Buy a package of 3M Command Removable Mount Strips (Small size is what I use) and use that to mark the exact measurement of your seam allowance. You may need to trim the right-hand edge and a corner to make it fit your needs but it's easy to cut, pulls off cleanly with NO residue and is just the right thickness for your fabric to ride along. These strips are usually in the hardware section of your big-box stores but at this time of year you'll also find them in with Christmas items as they are great for hanging decorations that you want to remove after the holidays.
    Love the tip! thanks
    Love 4 stchen

I have a t-gauge that is my favorite thing to use. Before I got it, I would use Post-it notes...tear off about 3 or 4...stays in place pretty good and no residue whatsoever. I have had residue with painter's tape...but to get around that when I used it I would stick to my jeans and peel away two or three times. That took care of it being overly sticky.

Blog Entries
    Great idea if you have a dark enough sewing bed. I use blue painter's tape due to eye condition that makes it hard to see white on white and black on black.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Command strips work GREAT!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2