Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
No gumption to sew!!! >

No gumption to sew!!!

No gumption to sew!!!

Old 03-22-2009, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dingle
Ya know, I have been feeling like that for the last 4-5 weeks. My biggest problem is I do have a small fabric stash but nothing really goes together so I can't get motivated. Being new to quilting I'm not sure what pattern to use. I don't want to do the same one over and over again. Not to mention I can't just run out and buy since there is nothing in this town. Someone gave me a boat load of 4" squares. I have no idea what to do with them. They don't go together any better then my small stash. The longer this goes on I'm thinking I may lose interest :(
4" squares that don't go together. hmmmmmm .... sounds like a scrap quilt beggin' to happen. ;-)

check this site for ideas. http://quiltville.com/

Old 03-22-2009, 05:08 PM

Oh, I agree, Patrice. A scrappy quilt would pick up the spirits. I have to get organized though, too.

Right now I'm looking at 3, yes three boxes of GoldStar banners I have to get delivered this week, with remembrance books to parents that have lost their children in the wars.

I have quilts begun in various stages, one just needs binding, one needs sashing of blocks together (guess which one that is, sigh) one needs more blocks made for it, my mom's requested quilt for a great neice hasn't even been cut yet, it's just the fabric bought and banded. I've got quilting magazines all over my room, I've got a cross stitch memorial going, I'm frustrated with disorganization.

I get depressed in chaos and end up doing nothing but walking out of the house to shop for MORE fabric.

TOMORROW:

My goal is to get ALL the Blue Star things in ONE box, get it in the truck to deliver on Tuesday when CNA is here.

Goal two: get the magazines in order and back in the bookcase.

Goal three: get the binding on my great nephew's guilt.

Who's going to hold me accountable??? Someone has to check with me or I'll be behinder and behinder and I'll end up lying in a puddle on my bed and not accomplish a thing.

See, you're not alone!

Hugs,
Sharon
Old 03-22-2009, 05:46 PM
Power Poster

I have times I dream about quilting and other times I need to let my quilt age. LOL. The times I don't feel like quilting are few and far between. But I do have them.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:25 PM

During those times I just don't feel like sewing, I feel like I'm cooking some design idea in the back of my brain. When it's done, I won't be able to stay away from the sewing machine. So don't worry about it! You'll know when the time is right! (Although reorganizing things certainly does help!)
Old 03-22-2009, 07:36 PM

ok, Harmony, I'm going to. Tomorrow is Monday, good day to get the ducks lined up and running in order. :lol: :shock: :roll: :lol:
Old 03-22-2009, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by mimisharon
Oh, I agree, Patrice. A scrappy quilt would pick up the spirits. I have to get organized though, too.

Right now I'm looking at 3, yes three boxes of GoldStar banners I have to get delivered this week, with remembrance books to parents that have lost their children in the wars.

I have quilts begun in various stages, one just needs binding, one needs sashing of blocks together (guess which one that is, sigh) one needs more blocks made for it, my mom's requested quilt for a great neice hasn't even been cut yet, it's just the fabric bought and banded. I've got quilting magazines all over my room, I've got a cross stitch memorial going, I'm frustrated with disorganization.

I get depressed in chaos and end up doing nothing but walking out of the house to shop for MORE fabric.

TOMORROW:

My goal is to get ALL the Blue Star things in ONE box, get it in the truck to deliver on Tuesday when CNA is here.

Goal two: get the magazines in order and back in the bookcase.

Goal three: get the binding on my great nephew's guilt.

Who's going to hold me accountable??? Someone has to check with me or I'll be behinder and behinder and I'll end up lying in a puddle on my bed and not accomplish a thing.

See, you're not alone!

Hugs,
Sharon
Believe me, I am NOT one to be giving any ideas or suggestions on this topic, but here is what worked for me just this past week.

I have so many projects started that need to be finished soon (and more waiting to be started). One morning as I was getting dressed for an appointment, I decided to do as Nancy (Sewing with Nancy) suggests. I was to leave at 10 AM. It was 9:45 and I was ready.. So I said to myself, "Get in there and sew ONE seam." Well, I sewed one seam, and then another, and then another. By 10, I had a whole row done. Well, I couldn't wait to get back to work some more. I made 3 rows of blocks that day.

Someone suggested (on another thread) that we put aside our WIP and do something new to get motivated.

Also -- on your "TOMORROW" list, take only ONE item a day. Before you know it, they will all be done.

Hang in there. You're not alone. :lol:
Old 03-23-2009, 12:34 AM

When I'm not sewing I look for my next project ....that seems to get the juices flowing and I have to finish what I'm working on so I can start something new.....that is what works for me.....sometimes it can take days to weeks but I always find that irrisitable pattern.....:-).......hope this will help you.....:-)
Old 03-23-2009, 12:40 AM

Yup, been there, done that! I go in my room, all ready to sew, then turn around and walk out.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:17 AM

thank goodness i'm not the only one!,I have been berating myself for not doing any sewing,so I went to a quilt show to get some motivation,and it worked>I started to work on some unfinished projects that I have,There is so much I want to do and not enough time to do it.By the time I get home from work,make dinner, pick up my daughter from Softball practice,keep the house in decent shape,it just never seems to end
Old 03-23-2009, 06:14 AM

Sometimes it helps to watch some quilting programs to jumpstart you again. My enthusiasm rarely sags; most days I would rather quilt than eat.