Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
No gumption to sew!!! >

No gumption to sew!!!

No gumption to sew!!!

Old 03-25-2009, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt Junkie
I call it burnout and always make a scrappy baby quilt for charity to get me going again. I love short projects, lately making a tool caddy that I can put a small mat, rotary cutter, pencil, small ruler etc... in.
That sounds like a winner. I need something to put my large square rulers (12 1/2" and 10 1/2"), my 24" rulers, etc. I'm running out of space -- even wall space.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:53 AM

Oh yes, I sometimes go for weeks without even wanting to sew, and I teach quilting. But eventually you just have to get back in there and make something nice, or pretty or just for fun. I also work better under pressure so if something is hanging over my head, I will just let it sit until I absolutely have to have it done. Then I work all night and day to finish it in time. Nuts I know, but that's how it happens sometimes. So think of something small, a wall hanging, or couch throw, get out some really funky fabric and put something together that you would never think of doing. Once you start it, you will want to start something else. It goes from there! You will be back in the "mood' in no time at all.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:20 AM

Nooooo! Don't get discouraged! There are lots of sites with free patterns available for downloading. And there are a lot of things to do with 4" squares such as pairing them with a solid color or muslin, draw a straight line from corner to corner (diagonally) and sewing 1/4 inch on either side of the line, cut down the center and press. You will then have 2 smaller not squares since you loose some jin the sewing process but just trim them to make them square or use them as they are and you can have a scrappy quilt top.
Or alternate the 4 inch square with a strip of solid or put 4 together and put a border around to make a larger square. Oh my! the possibilities!
Old 03-25-2009, 03:23 PM
Power Poster

I just remembered my favorite, "get going technique", and funny, one day a good friend on here said she did that :D . GMTA (great minds.... :wink: )
Get yourself a timer, and set it for 30 minutes.
Anybody that isn't ill, can sit and sew for 30 minutes a day, before long, you'll be setting it for an hour, and sew on, lol!
It works great for me, and I feel so good about myself. Now to go write that in 12" letters and tape to computer monitor, refrigerator, telephone,.... :wink: :mrgreen: :D :D :D

P.S. the trick is, to let yourself stop, the minute you really want to. It takes all the pressure/guilt off.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:36 PM

Here's a link to free block patterns that gets me inspired to sew! http://quilterscache.com/QuiltBlocksGalore.html Take a look; I'm sure you can find something to use your scraps for!

Old 03-25-2009, 05:14 PM

Are you sure you are not my twin? I have been this way as well lately. I have been working on a frog quilt that you have to applique all the frogs and I have them all pressed out and ready to applique and I just can't get motivated to go down to the quilt room. I keep telling hubby going this weekend down no matter what and next thing I know it is Monday and still not moved on the table. HELP! I hope this passes soon. :shock: :roll: :lol:
Old 03-25-2009, 06:56 PM

Dingle don't give up just do a scrappy quilt an it don't matter what kind of blocks they are. someone will think its a master peace. i done one for the battered womens shelter five years ago .an a babby quilt to an put a 2inch black boarder around each block an it set each block out an made it look ;ike i had planned it all along an the girl at the womens shelter was so happy it was for a silent auction an it went real good.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:09 PM

i have a rose quilt i have to do an still don't have the guts to get it started because it is applacaid an i just havent got my nerve up to doing it yet but am going to have to because one of my excuses has arived in the world as of last thuresday an that was my grandson an i have most of his quilts just about ready for quilting.an i'm going to machine quilt them so it goes a little quicker an then his mom don't have to buy any blanketa for him an i have a whole sewing room full of material 11'x16' room with quilting machine an sewing table in it to.aint much room for moving around right now but i work with what i have right now.because it's going to grow one of these days if i have to build it my self.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:27 PM
Power Poster

When I get into a slump, I find that checking out quilt blogs (and now this wonderful forum) gives me great ideas and inspiration to go to my sewing room and do something..anything.

I find that the reason for my slump is oftentimes because I feel guilty that I am not doing the things I need to be doing (like housework) and I need to give myself permission to do the things I "want" to do..

And for the quilter with the boat load of squares, here's my idea: You can make scrappy 4-patches and alternate them with a same-size square of a printed fabric.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:36 PM

This is true confession time :: when you great people say scrappy quilts, it scares the heck out of me. I get so befuddled when it comes to using all those different pieces. I can't decide which one to put next to which one. I can't even get all of my scraps together in a semblence of an order -- even a scrappy order. I keep putting all my scraps and little pieces aside in containers. Pretty soon one container is full, so I go to another container. Etc, etc. It's making me soooo nervous. And I'm NOT an organized person. You should see my house right now. With a quilt going, turoring going, baby quilt waiting to happen, another wedding cake coming up, etc. The faster I go, the behinder I get. Sick grandchild coming tomorrow so Mommy can go to work. AND THEN I READ -- JUST MAKE A SCRAPPY QUILT. ????? I'm going bananas! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: