Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
No More Shopping for Me >

No More Shopping for Me

No More Shopping for Me

Old 05-14-2015, 03:59 AM

Thank you all for making me feel better about my large stash......I am trying not to buy any more also!
Old 05-14-2015, 04:09 AM

This thread sure makes me feel better about my stash!! I have a DDIL that uses from my stash & a new quilter is my DGD so I know my vintage fabric will go to good people! We're not hoarders just passionate about fabric!
Old 05-14-2015, 04:40 AM

I am using more and buying less, but my stash is increasing because I am purchasing fabrics I would not have originally purchased so I now have more variety of fabrics to choose from. If they would not design such beautiful fabrics, I would not be so tempted.

So, NO, I have not intention of stopping anytime soon.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:27 AM

I don't have very much fabric but what I do have I sometimes find very hard to cut into. Reading this thread has made me think that I really should not worry about using up my fabric as I buy it and then buying more when I need it, rather than trying to "collect" it.
One thing I find really hard is that fabric collections come out for such a short period of time I feel the pressure to buy it while I can before it sells out, even if I don't need it.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:55 AM

I also have a large amount of fabric. I now only buy what I need to coordinate and finish a quilt. I keep tell my kids I have my fabric supply for when I retire and I don't have to buy any more. They haven't bought that one yet. My one son tells me he's going to bring a dump truck up to the window!!!!
Old 05-14-2015, 06:53 AM

I have enough fabric to cover at least three states. My mother passed in 2013 and since I am the only one of my siblings that sews I got her stash and supplies. I did go through all of it before I brought it to my house and only brought material that was suitable for quilting. That amounted to 5 large plastic bags........I have washed all of it and I use what I can for charity quilts. I supply two guilds with stacks of material for charity projects. I guess I have enough for about three years of projects. I do not have to buy thread for the next century. I keep a great portion in the freezer so it does not rot. The only fabric I buy is a coordinating fabric or sometimes a backing. I have already told my daughters they will have the leftovers to deal with.....I need to be sewing at 99 to use all this fabric. Right now I make about 20 to 25 charity quilts per year......and I need to increase my output!!
Old 05-14-2015, 07:25 AM

I did not realize how much I had til I moved from Oh. to Mo.--I had brought out a few carloads to store in my Dad's basement. Which was 8 lg and 18 med totes. I thought it would help on the major move. My sewing room took up the 1st 7ft of a 24 x11 x10 moving truck and there was still a dozen each of totes and banker boxes of fabrics. I've used maybe one lg tote in the last 3 yrs but there is no way I can use it all.So I am sorting through it all and making bundles of fabrics with the pattern for each and I will sell off the rest. I started spring cleaning and I have to much of every thing. So its time to let go of the excess. I have already decided to get rid of all but 3 machines. Letting go of these will be hard but I feel they need some one that will use them. I feel like I'm living in a storage locker.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
I just moved my sewing room into the basement. I broke down crying several times, overwhelmed by the amount of fabric and quilt kits. Part of it was feeling ashamed of hoarding so much stuff. If I made a quilt every week for the rest of my life, I couldn't use it all up. My husband asked why are you crying, then said I should feel fortunate to have so many beautiful things.
This made me smile....what a lucky woman to have someone understand you so well. Now back to getting rid of my stash by shopping in it.....
Old 05-14-2015, 08:45 AM

I have a lot of fabric but I look at as an investment. I only buy fabric on sale so that makes me feel better.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:46 AM

I recently did a little math. I store my stash in four five shelf bookcases and in a walk in closet. I usually buy a minimum of three yards or more of any fabric I buy. So just by counting the amount of different fabrics on one shelf, I come up with 25 X 3 yards (a conservative estimate) I come up with 75 yards on one shelf. Multiplied by shelves 75 X 35 I come up with 2625 yards. That is not even counting the multiple scraps, UFO's and misc. cuts I have laying around. Trying not to buy any more unless I need it to finish a project. I refuse to feel to guilty this was all accumulated over a almost 40 year span and is a constant source of entertainment.