Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Not Enough Fabric in a Kit >

Not Enough Fabric in a Kit

Not Enough Fabric in a Kit

Old 04-30-2013, 08:13 AM

I've got a block of the month kit from Keepsake Quilting. I had so much extra, I've made a strip quilt with the smaller scraps and I still have a LOT of larger pieces left that I need to use up. KQ is a really good on-line place to buy.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:08 AM

There is no reason they should refuse to help you. Kits should always include a little easing room, no one can cut with perfect accuracy , do hope they can help you. X Letty
Old 04-30-2013, 09:44 AM

It's nice to know which places/designers are GOOD to buy kits from, and I'm happy that their names have been mentioned. I think we should be putting the names of the places that are BAD in our comments, so we all know the places/designers to NOT buy from! The QB is pretty well-known. Who knows, maybe these comments will have a positive effect, and the BADDIES will clean up their acts.

I haven't bought kits, because over the years I've been on the QB, I've read just enough negative comments about them to scare me off. The only reason I would ever buy one is on sale if I like the fabrics - and I probably wouldn't use the pattern!

Last edited by JoanneS; 04-30-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:01 AM

I guess I was lucky - I have only purchased two kits. One from Connecting Threads and the other from Keepsake Quilting. Both were more than generous - my only beef was that the one from Keepsake had plaid FQs in it and some of plaid in the FQs were - as my kids would have said - kady whoumpus (not cut on the straight of the plaid) but still enough fabric to cut the pieces square!
Old 04-30-2013, 10:17 AM

You are very fortunate. I also bought a kit from Keepsakes Quilting, and one of the fabrics they sent me was very different from the picture. In order to get the proper "value", they stated to use the wrong side of that fabric. It looked awful that way. I emailed them, and called them, to see if they had a fabric that was closer to the one in the picture, and they said "no, that was all we have." They said I could return the kit if I wished, but I had already cut out many of the pieces, and I was on a deadline, so I ended up using the fabric they sent, but used the right side of the fabric. It changed the look of the finished quilt, since the fabric had a darker look to it, and thus changed the value, but I figured that was better than using the wrong side of the fabric. I had mentally decided that I would never order from them again. Any comments? Should I reconsider?

Originally Posted by carolstickelmaier View Post
Keepsakes Quilting has always been good to me. I too, tend to buy kits and put them away for several years. The last one I knew I had made the first block but could not find it. I called and explained what had happened and asked if they had the pattern or any fabric that could work and I would be glad to pay for it. They replied "no problem and sent me a new complete block for replacement at no charge...Then another time (same company) I was shorted a fabric (no way could you cut four 1 1/2" strips from a five inch piece. They immediately sent more fabric with apologies. I would buy from them again just because of their service policy.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:58 AM

I have bought kits and medleys from Keepsake Quilting on several occasions and have always been very happy with my purchases, both in quality and quantity. I've even had enough left over on two occasions to make a small baby quilt as well, and I really appreciated it. I can fully recommend them.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:21 PM

I had it happen once and the shop did right by me.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:51 PM
Power Poster

I got an email from the lady who runs Creative Quilt Kits, and she found some of the fabric in her shop. It's nice to know that she is doing right by me, but I am now "gun shy" about ever buying a kit again, from anyplace.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:20 PM
Power Poster

I have only bought kits from the LQS and they have always had adequate fabric