Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ok, they said "Hippie Wedding"... so the quilt...

Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!
    basically I have this:
    groom is an artist (my nephew, only other working artist in family besides me)
    bride is in the travel industry...
    they have been living on a yacht as servants for a rich family in FL for last year+
    Wedding is in a state park in September...

he is a very free-spirit, very artsy-fartsy... a "playful" personality, has always been a dreamer...
    she is very fun-loving, but a hard-worker, very level-headed but open minded.
    They are college sweethearts, been together for about 5 years or a little more.

His fave color is crimson
    Her fave color is purple

Have: deep purple tie-dye & black kona
    will be shopping for the crimsons shortly (will keep eyes open for purples and crimsons in large flower-power prints or peace signs in those colors)

No, no one is going to be lighting up... basically, the wedding is out in a nature setting, and its pretty casual, "come as you are" deal

What's the first pattern that comes to mind?

Tie-dyes or batiks and the Grateful Dead music playing as the bride walks down the aisle.

I have this image of Jerry Garcia officiating, but as that man has been dead a while, probably not gonna happen on this one.. :P

Blog Entries
    I was in Joann's yesterday and saw some fabric with peace signs on them. Didn't want any, but it brought back memories.

Think they might want you to add a peace sign on it?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieF
    When I think of Hippie, the thing that comes to mind are tie-dye, big bright flowered fabric and denim.
    ------------------------------------------
    Bell bottoms and Nehru jackets. Bushy hair and a LOT of face fuzz for the guys. Round eye glasses. Denim skirts made from jeans with the inside seams cut open and with added fabric, sometimes with huge flowers. Females with long, drooping hair and long bangs. Earth shoes or flip flops. Or heavy boots for either males or females. Strings and strings of multi colored beads. At least one huge peace sign on a leathr strip, dangling from an unwashed neck, male or female.

Blog Entries
    Anything done in jewel batiks would be my choice. I have seen a pattern that was nothing but big diamond shapes that was gorgeous.

Blog Entries
    I like the jewel batik idea.

Blog Entries
    My DH got a kick out of this and had fun coming up with some ideas. Bongs and songs (rock n roll The song Crimson & Clover would match your color or bands/album titles with colorful names such as the Blue Magooos, Yellow Submarine, Black Sabbath, White Rabbit, Pink Floyd, The Moody Blues.) Then there is The Beatles, the beetle and beads.

I know "hippie" congers up the idea of peace signs, and woodstock - all that comes with it. But this couple sounds more like "back to nature", imagination, simple beauty. So, I wouldn't go the peace sign etc. route - I might go more of a somewhat traditional block pattern with colors that they love and colors that symbolize nature. What comes to my mind are southwest colors - sunset in Arizona, Moab and Arches Nat. Park., blues for the ocean (they must love it if serving on a yacht, moss greens.

Just an alternative thought from a flower child :)

Quote Originally Posted by granma1
    Sorry about the duplicate posts. My internet conn. went spaz on me.
    Sure it Did! :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by granma1
    What is a hippie wedding? Is everyone going to light up or what? I bet a Hippie wedding would be fun. I had a Hippie reception. It was a blast.
    :shock: :shock: :shock:
    Actually, I went to a wedding that was held in a Biker Bar, boy that one was interesting!!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast