Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Ok, they said "Hippie Wedding"... so the quilt...

Quote Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    I was in Joann's yesterday and saw some fabric with peace signs on them. Didn't want any, but it brought back memories.

Think they might want you to add a peace sign on it?
    I used the batik with the peace signs. It was 'interesting'. I posted the end quilt titled 'Eye-watering quilt - done!" if you want to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
    No, no one is going to be lighting up... basically, the wedding is out in a nature setting, and its pretty casual, "come as you are" deal
    Okay, then does that mean they will come to the wedding already high? lol

For the quilt I can see a vw or boat traveling around on a road or map full of flowers and rather than stop signs the signs would be embroidered with the word Peace, Love, etc.

Senior Member quilter in the making's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have the most fun fabric that I call my hippie fabric with blue, green, orange, purple, red, yellow peace symbols all over it. Made a denim and flannel rag quilt with it for my niece.

Snails Trail is the first pattern popping into my mind

Blog Entries
    For the wedding? ... gauze-y white wedding dress with a head-wreath of flowers and bare feet; he in white shirt, jeans, long hair pulled back in p'tail and also bare feet.
    Peace man ... and woman.

For the quilt? how about some embellishments of those small embroidered (Indian?) mirrors... forget the name of them... and fringe and tassels and beads... LOVE beads.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kaykwilts
    Quote Originally Posted by granma1
    What is a hippie wedding? Is everyone going to light up or what? I bet a Hippie wedding would be fun. I had a Hippie reception. It was a blast.
    I had a hippe wedding....ours was this: we both wore gauze shirts from India, his had embroidery on it, mine was plain off white. We wore old faded blue jeans, complete with ragged leg bottoms, we were barefoot, I wore flowers in my hair--daisies, baby's breath, and a few red rose buds--we were married at night, in front of the Christmas tree (Dec 23rd) in my mothers living room, in the middle of the worst blizzard Iowa had seen in yrs....with Larry Norman and Styx music playing......and bell shaped ice cream cakes from Baskin Robbins following........
    Not a single picture survived the camera catastrophe that occurred....so we only have our memories.
    32 yrs later, my hubby and I still have long, long hair (his is longer than mine right now!!), and love each other more today than we ever thought possible back then.....
    So, with the divorce rate at over 50%....sometimes it is the most unlikely couples (man were we ever), with the most unlikely weddings, that last...
    And while my post won't help you with your quilt (which I hope goes well), I do send along my best wishes for your nephew and his new bride.....
    But what a wedding to remember :thumbup: ;)
    OMG! Kaykuilts...I posted my reply before I read ALL of the previous replies... I nailed it, huh?
    Soooooooo happy for you and your DH... sorry about the photos, but I don't think photos would do the memories justice... how lucky for those who attended to witness a long lasting relationship.
    Best regards!

drunkards patch hehehehehe

Too cool can't wait to see what you come up with I say tydye fabric and alot of daisies and peace signs

I totally think BARGELLO QUILT. With the right colors, it would be sooo appropriate!! Let us know what you decide.

(I thought Hippie Days were long gone. Anxious to see your quilt!!!
    Good luck, Kutnso)
    Knutso - Hippies are still around and doing well - around here they are living in the form of White Water Boat Guides - my daughter lived the life for about 3 summers. Really nice kids but oh the memories it brought back, :)

As for your nephew's wedding I agree with whoever suggested a back to nature theme - very popular back in the day and bargello does seem like the ideal for a quilt - very suggestive of the 60's (btw, if you past the early 70's you've passed the hippie era).

I had the most beautiful hippie wedding wearing a white dotted cotton "granny" dress (required for any hippie wedding) and a crown of dasies in my hair. We were married in the yard beside the church building, had wonderful john denver songs sung by some friends, and our own vows. Still one of the prettiest weddings I can think of. We had known each other for 4 months and people were wondering how long this silly thing would last and I'm happy to say that come June this "thing" will celebrate 39 years and he is still my hero and love.

Best of luck to your nephew and his "lady" - may they celebrate many, many happy years together.

Quote Originally Posted by granma1
    What is a hippie wedding? Is everyone going to light up or what? I bet a Hippie wedding would be fun. I had a Hippie reception. It was a blast.
    When I think --Hippie Wedding--I think of my cousin. Married on a mountain top bare foot in overalls. The bride wore a regular white wedding dress and veil; however, she too was barefoot.

That's real hippies. Have no idea what they smoked. I only saw pictures--wasn't invited.

Gosh, it is such fun reading the posts on this topic.

I would think to stay away from gimmicky stuff and just keep it simple with the colors you have. My first thought was psychedelic (sp?), but I think the focus here is really love of each other, nature and the world in general.

I can't wait to see the finished quilt... :thumbup:

I would go with batiks. and do something semi scrappy. pick a pattern that you think represents them and then get lots and lots of batik scraps that you can use in the quilt. I would make sure that you are not going to wild and crazy but more in the same shades color in the same places. I hope that you get what I am saying. When I think of hippie i think more of little girls in gauzy dresses with flowers in their hair and nothing on their feet playing in the leaves and the groom in jeans and leather vests. I am thinking that they are more down to earth than a "real" hippie wedding. they sound like more outdoorsy people than hippie people. you could also back the quilt with a really nice landscape fabric that is woodsy. but goes well with the top you made.

Did you see the new fabric from Connecting Threads with the purple flowers? That with some batiks to coordinate might be lovely. Agree about the denim, too, but look at this fabric. I just loved it and I'm an old Hippie!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori S
    I think Flower Power! And burnt orange, avacado green, and harvest gold!!
    VW bus also come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by KimmieH
    tye-dye, peace signs
    I agree with Kimmie H, tye dye and peace signs, flowers

Kaleidoscopes (i.e. stack and whack) with crimson, purple, tiny white daisies & green clover meandering within & throughout the pattern.

Definitely batiks!

I think appliques of so many of the items mentioned...don't forget the lava lamp applique also.

The big foot stretched out for "truckin along" , the peace signs, huge interlocking flowers, checkered bardello squares (heck that one really cool twisting pattern)

Flowered bus, Peter maxx type pictures, bare feet....

Oh soooo many ideas!

Kalidiscope blocks Lucy in the Sky.

I think of the "Grateful Dead" bears.

We want to see the quilt when you get it done.

Having lived through the 60's what came to mind was a Mandala. I just did a google search and found a quilt that looks like it has potential
    http://shadygrovestudios.blogspot.co...ala-quilt.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

someone mentioned crazy quilt in bright colors. Although my granddaughter is only 27, she asked for a crazy quilt in psychedelic colors. Couldn't find those colors but are these bright enough?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kas
    My friend, Kim married my husband's brother. The only one in the wedding party who didn't have hair long enough for a ponytail was my father in law! It was outside and she had flowers in her hair and she was wearing a '70's dress with little daisies embroidered all over it. It looked great with her red hair. It was a beautiful wedding!

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S
    I think Flower Power! And burnt orange, avacado green, and harvest gold!!
    VW bus also come to mind.
    NOOOO -- BRIGHT orange, LIME green and BRIGHT yellow! That was my favorite colors -- and I wore them often!!! Even painted those colors in my first shop!!! LOL

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast