Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Ok, they said "Hippie Wedding"... so the quilt...

Quote Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
    basically I have this:
    groom is an artist (my nephew, only other working artist in family besides me)
    bride is in the travel industry...
    they have been living on a yacht as servants for a rich family in FL for last year+
    Wedding is in a state park in September...

he is a very free-spirit, very artsy-fartsy... a "playful" personality, has always been a dreamer...
    she is very fun-loving, but a hard-worker, very level-headed but open minded.
    They are college sweethearts, been together for about 5 years or a little more.

His fave color is crimson
    Her fave color is purple

Have: deep purple tie-dye & black kona
    will be shopping for the crimsons shortly (will keep eyes open for purples and crimsons in large flower-power prints or peace signs in those colors)

No, no one is going to be lighting up... basically, the wedding is out in a nature setting, and its pretty casual, "come as you are" deal
    You could do "covergence quilt" type blocks and some simple solid blocks in a pattern that pleases you and then applique bright flowers and "words" that describe them as a couple. Or a couple hand written poems from each of them to the other copied to fabric and appliqued to the quilt. Random and free spirited placement of accents

Blog Entries
    How about Drunkard's Walk? It is a hard one, so Log Cabin or Mariner's Compass would work. I used to have a Poppy pattern, but lost it.

Kaffee Fassett, Phillip Jacobs. Try quilthome.com. Fabulous bright, wild and colorful prints at good prices.

Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!
    lots of great ideas ~ I am letting my mind "chew on it" while I am gearing up to do his sister's butterfly hanky quilt (that wedding comes first). I love the mandala pattern, I could use that plus some other wonky flowers for applique in brighter 60's psychadelic colors. I found a pretty crimson with a neat print yesterday that I forgot I had, so I've set it aside for the quilt, and I found 8 purples so far in my stash that are set aside, too. The crimsons will be the hardest to find, I think I have to have swatches of all the purples first, then gather the reds.

I have a gorgeous tie-dye type deep purple, using that also on my Laurel Burch Flying Colors quilt (a WIP for awhile) ~ but I have at least a few yards of it I can use for this quilt.

When you say Hippie!!!
    I see patch work !!!!
    Splash of their fave colors!!!! maybe small flowers in those colors !!!!
    Natural fabric ( hemp)
    Simple design !!!!!

Banned
    Liberty Hill - Central TEXAS Hill Country
    What's the first pattern that comes to mind? I am using deep and bright purples and crimson and kona black (requested colors)

This should be an interesting one!
    This should be an interesting wedding, especially in a park - if weather is nice, should be a great one.

I have 2 - 9 yr. old great GD's & their friends who are really into the "peace" symbols & colors - since I'm 77, I think it is hilarious - they say everything (styles, etc) come around again. :lol:

Have a blessed week end

Blog Entries
    Reminds me of the early 70's, at a rest stop. A VW bus orange with flowers painted all over it, girls in long skirts and scarves on their heads over long hair, sandals on their feet in the bathroom
    floor washing their dishes before continuing their trip to ?,
    maybe Calif. My mother-in-laws eyes bugged out, she was from a small town in La, on her first big trip to Calif. :lol: :lol:

Beetle bug.... Van with ribbons and birds behind it... lot's of color, music..

First thing I thought of was a quilt made with VW busses. I remember seeing a few years ago. Tye-dyed fabric, or even the beatles fabric. Groovy man! lol the memories...what I wouldn't give for some Peter Maxx designed fabric!

Power Poster
    Scrappy quilt, lots of bright colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieF
    When I think of Hippie, the thing that comes to mind are tie-dye, big bright flowered fabric and denim.
    ------------------------------------------
    Bell bottoms and Nehru jackets. Bushy hair and a LOT of face fuzz for the guys. Round eye glasses. Denim skirts made from jeans with the inside seams cut open and with added fabric, sometimes with huge flowers. Females with long, drooping hair and long bangs. Earth shoes or flip flops. Or heavy boots for either males or females. Strings and strings of multi colored beads. At least one huge peace sign on a leathr strip, dangling from an unwashed neck, male or female.
    You forgot the bell-bottom pants!

I agree use batiks. Their beautiful and go well with the theme.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieF
    When I think of Hippie, the thing that comes to mind are tie-dye, big bright flowered fabric and denim.
    and elephant leg jeans, beaded leather headbands, lots of flowers.

What's the first pattern that comes to mind? I am using deep and bright purples and crimson and kona black (requested colors)

This should be an interesting one!
    Something with peace signs would be fun for a hippie wedding, also any fabric that has words about love, peace, etc. Can't wait to see it done, so please post pics.

Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!
    I found a "Disney Cars" Cricut cartridge on clearance ~ so we're going to make their wedding card with "Fillmore" from Cars... yeah, dude!

Groovy!!

Today's hippies and not the same as our 60's hippies. Today's are more grounded earth people, almost green. A bargello quilt would be a good fit.

My kids have always been mad at me for giving away my hippie clothes. They wanted them for costumes, especially my old fringed vest. lol One thing hasn't changed - you don't dare eat the brownies!

I would agree with imatopper about today's hippies. I wouldn't use all the symbols of the past (peace signs, tie dye, etc.) I think that a bargello or a lopsided log cabin would be very nice. Maybe a funny one with the symbols would be better for a birthday, rather than a wedding:-)

I anxiously wait to see what you come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by 0tis
    Crazy quilt! I lived deep in Hippy Country growing up - also consider some applique symbol - like peace sign or the yin yang sign. Most of the hippies I know are just happy with anything.
    Most of the hippies I know are in rest homes...

Funny!

Any pattern useing the tye dye prints. The colors orange, green ,and purples. Sounds interesting.

Please post a photo of the quilt when you finish - would love to see it. And the hanky quilt also. Thanks

I think the happy daisy pattern on this board would be a great starter idea, you know, flowers in their hair type of stuff :D

Quote Originally Posted by danece
    I think the happy daisy pattern on this board would be a great starter idea, you know, flowers in their hair type of stuff :D
    I can just hear it now, "Aunt Dawn, Really?!?!?" I don't think the groom would admit he know me if I did that pattern... but I am making one of those for my daughter! That's a fun pattern!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast