Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ok, they said "Hippie Wedding"... so the quilt...

Something not so geometric or symetrical -- bargello or OBW were my 1st thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Kooklabell
    I know "hippie" congers up the idea of peace signs, and woodstock - all that comes with it. But this couple sounds more like "back to nature", imagination, simple beauty. So, I wouldn't go the peace sign etc. route - I might go more of a somewhat traditional block pattern with colors that they love and colors that symbolize nature. What comes to my mind are southwest colors - sunset in Arizona, Moab and Arches Nat. Park., blues for the ocean (they must love it if serving on a yacht, moss greens.

Just an alternative thought from a flower child :)
    Ok, thought for awhile more - starburst pattern.

I think of the scrappy look.

Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!
    Quote Originally Posted by LoriEl
    The first pattern I thought of was a bargello.
    Actually, the more my brain works on it today, I think I am tending toward the bargello ~ its reminiscent of the psychadelic era :shock: and then if I added a large applique "krazy patchwork" hand-drawn LOVE with funky flowers, and a trio of the layered fray-able applique roses on the bottom corners of the quilt... hmmmm.... its the colors that really get me, but I think I could pull this off with the bargello pattern... or one called "Candy Queen" from allisonsdesigns may work for the backdrop, could be nicely dramatic in my colors?

Quote Originally Posted by redkimba
    What's the first pattern that comes to mind?

Tie-dyes or batiks and the Grateful Dead music playing as the bride walks down the aisle.

I have this image of Jerry Garcia officiating, but as that man has been dead a while, probably not gonna happen on this one.. :P
    Thought I saw a post on here a while back about batik fabric that looked like it had marijuana leaves on it...thought that would be fitting, as no one will be lighting up...Gnarly Dude!

a bargello would be beautiful with those colors

Blog Entries
    Gotta have some orange. and pinks

Wavy double wedding rings in batiqs of rainbow colors with black background. :XD: :XD:

This is what I think of when you say "Hippie wedding" and quilts

Maybe a GFG or similar?
    Name:  Attachment-175045.jpe
Views: 36
Size:  35.2 KB

whatever you decide, please post a pic when finished. love the color scheme!!

Blog Entries
    Hancock's has a bunch of peace sign and tie dyes and of course this is the Joann's weekend !

Living through that time I would say Big, bold flowers. They will go with the theme but will still look great 20 years from now.

I tend to think that young people now do not see tye-dye, peace signs and Jerry Garcia when they think "hippie". It's more about being natural and keeping simple. I wouldn't go with big flower power prints or anything, lol. I'd stick to their favorite colours and probably a pretty simple pattern. I really love black, deep purple and crimson together...maybe a jewel box pattern using those three?

Quote Originally Posted by granma1
    Sorry about the duplicate posts. My internet conn. went spaz on me.
    Must have been some heavy stuff at that reception...

Quote Originally Posted by 0tis
    Crazy quilt! I lived deep in Hippy Country growing up - also consider some applique symbol - like peace sign or the yin yang sign. Most of the hippies I know are just happy with anything.
    OTIS:
    Your doggies remind me of hippies...LOL..just kidding...I love them!

Please post a picture of your quilt when it's done....and wedding details-sounds interesting. I grew up in the Age of Aquarius but being from conservative ND, didn't see much of the hippy movement.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by LoriEl
    The first pattern I thought of was a bargello.
    Actually, the more my brain works on it today, I think I am tending toward the bargello ~ its reminiscent of the psychadelic era :shock: and then if I added a large applique "krazy patchwork" hand-drawn LOVE with funky flowers, and a trio of the layered fray-able applique roses on the bottom corners of the quilt... hmmmm.... its the colors that really get me, but I think I could pull this off with the bargello pattern... or one called "Candy Queen" from allisonsdesigns may work for the backdrop, could be nicely dramatic in my colors?
    Psychadelic-that's the word I couldn't think of when I thought bargello! Thank-you!

Please post a picture of your quilt when it's done....and wedding details-sounds interesting. I grew up in the Age of Aquarius but being from conservative ND, I didn't see much of the hippy movement.

I thought Hippie Days were long gone. Anxious to see your quilt!!!
    Good luck, Kutnso

It is clear to me, from your postings,that most of you "girls" grew up in this era. I, on the other hand, was the mother of two teens and a vagrant in those days. Now, wasn't that just fun?

Went to allisondesigns site and to me the place mat design would be my choice.
    Again, good luck, Kutnso

What is a hippie wedding? Is everyone going to light up or what? I bet a Hippie wedding would be fun. I had a Hippie reception. It was a blast.
    Too funny!!

Sounds like a fun quilt.

How about a quilt similar to this one I made for one of my brothers

it says "Tweetyland" on top cause that's his nickname
    Name:  Attachment-175086.jpe
Views: 22
Size:  56.1 KB

What is a hippie wedding? Is everyone going to light up or what? I bet a Hippie wedding would be fun. I had a Hippie reception. It was a blast.
    I had a hippe wedding....ours was this: we both wore gauze shirts from India, his had embroidery on it, mine was plain off white. We wore old faded blue jeans, complete with ragged leg bottoms, we were barefoot, I wore flowers in my hair--daisies, baby's breath, and a few red rose buds--we were married at night, in front of the Christmas tree (Dec 23rd) in my mothers living room, in the middle of the worst blizzard Iowa had seen in yrs....with Larry Norman and Styx music playing......and bell shaped ice cream cakes from Baskin Robbins following........

Not a single picture survived the camera catastrophe that occurred....so we only have our memories.

32 yrs later, my hubby and I still have long, long hair (his is longer than mine right now!!), and love each other more today than we ever thought possible back then.....

So, with the divorce rate at over 50%....sometimes it is the most unlikely couples (man were we ever), with the most unlikely weddings, that last...

And while my post won't help you with your quilt (which I hope goes well), I do send along my best wishes for your nephew and his new bride.....

But what a wedding to remember :thumbup: ;)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast