Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Pass On The Best Idea You've Had While Quilting

Blog Entries
    I use a large coffee can for my scraps and threads. I covered it with a wide wall paper border. Helps a lot
    in keeping sewing table clean.

I use an old drying rack when I'm working on a quilt that has a lot of strips to cut and stitch. I'll stack the same color and size strips on one spot and another color and/or size strips on another spot. It's so easy to grab just the right color and/or size. I used to pile them in a box and it would get all messy..... this is so much better

I don't have a fancy sewing table.... just a flat table for my machines, etc. I found a plastic storage unit that has shelves and rollers to put next to my table and machine. Then on top of the unit, I put an old silverware drawer. I put the most often used items in it and sewing is so much quicker..... I don't have to stop, get up, walk to where ever stuff is stored.

[Very interesting. Are there any fumes that come off the plastic when you do this?[/quote]

A little but not enough to cause discomfort. I am chemically sensitive and cannot even stand the smell of any thing but unscented, but this does not bother me or trigger any of my alergies. I do sometimes use a pressing sheet made from an old pillowcase, but that is more to protect my iron and ironing board.

Quote Originally Posted by memepat
    We travel alot and I like to quilt on the road. So I went to the local thrift shop and bought a lightweight wooden tray for $1.oo. Cleaned and spray painted it a bright color. I keep a project in the tray with pins, scissors, etc. When I come home I add or change items getting it ready for the next road trip. So when DH is ready to go I don't have to rush to find something to work on. I have the Omni box for traveling but the lid gets in the way. The tray sits great on your lap and when we get out I put the tray in my seat for when I get back in.
    Love this idea.

The trays containing meat purchased at gorcery make a good small tray on which I lay my scissors, bobbins, seam ripper and needle package next to my machine when I'm piecing.

Blog Entries
    I take a picture of my blocks when laid out before sewing together with my digital camera. There are often times when I find a block either turned the wrong way or too much of one color in the same area. For some reason a picture lets you see something different than looking at it with only your eyes.

I use a daily pill box (Sun, Mon, and so on) to store my machine needles. I put a different size or type in each section, and label with a Sharpie.

Blog Entries
    I save my salvage edges for use as plant ties in the garden.

When I was making a lot of scrub tops for my daughter I would iron the iron on interfacing to the paper pattern and that way my pattern would last and I still had all the markings on my pattern and my pattern is still in good shape after many many many uses. :)

Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast